1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have girls in your life?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by gingerbread, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This thread has morphed into a life lesson - and that's a good thing.

Don't pin anything down on anyone. Try different things. And seek happiness. Now to follow my own advice ...

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Junkie, you should have seen the traveling baseball/softbal scene where I used to be. It wasn't a sport - it was a disease. Worse yet, I worked for a moron who all but fanned the flames on this issue.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think that is a lesson I would like to teach my (nonexistent) children: There are many aspects to life, not just sports or a single sport.

I will also be teaching them that the entire family's life, schedule and budget do not revolve around children playing sports.

4. BRoth

BRoth Member

Girls love this guy:

Mr. Mayer knows how it is.

5. my wife and I think allowing our kids to find their own interests, hobbies and activities is an integral part of raising a child

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

You're close on your guess, though it has been less than 10 years. I have no doubt the travel team/prep sports landscape has changed (most likely for the worst) since I played. But even "back then" I was still taking part in a sport (or two) 45 weeks out of the year - by my own choice and not because my parents forced me.

Cadet is right - there are so many aspects to life outside of sports. However, the discipline, camaraderie and integrity taught through sports were instrumental to the quality person I've become and continue to strive to be every day.

An aside to another point brought up on this thread -- my parents offered their advice on possible activities, sports and extracurriculars, but it ultimately came down to me finding my own niche, hobbies, etc.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Just to add a different perspective: I think most of us on this board, being into sports, would give similar answers about encouraging girls and women in sports.

But cultures are different. I have a lot of experience with Hispanic cultures where girls are discouraged from playing sports, at least past a certain age. There is a local family I cover where the sons were both excellent wrestlers and basketball players, but the daughter is not allowed to play sports and has to settle for being the manager for those teams. Sometimes you can see where the girls are upset, but mostly they just accept it. It's sad, because who knows what participation in sports could add to their lives.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Sam, I agree with what you are saying. As someone who has had pressure put on them to do certain things, I can tell you that it makes you more unhappy than happy.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm not so sure about putting a child in sports, especially after seeing the so much of the dirty inside of minor sports for so long.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you should see the dirty inside in the world adolescence piano. sobering, actually.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Well, you did a bang-up job taking that out of context.
    I suppose to make your point you omitted the pretext and explanatory posts?

PRETEXT:
    AND TO COUNTER, AND EXPLAIN:
    (In case you were wondering, theses posts are available earlier in the thread)

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

There actually can be a lot of bad inside adolescent music. A lot of pressure goes into it, particularly if you're good. No different than sports really.

Draft saved Draft deleted