1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have girls in your life?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by gingerbread, Aug 4, 2007.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Not a trick question.
    Daughters? Wives? Girlfriends?
    Obviously you have mothers and grandmothers.

If you were to offer advice about how they should live their lives, what would it be?

Would you encourage them to be involved in sports? If so, which one? Why?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Be super-aware of their surroundings.

Yes to sports.

3. gingerbread

Please, if you have the time, tell me why.
    A lot of men post here ... I'm especially curious to know how they'd like to raise their daughters (or have relationships with women) with regard to sports.

4. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Shiiiiiiiit, I have more girls in my life than JDV.

:D

5. gingerbread

Ok, so you're young and all that ... do you want females in your world to be athletic? Interested in sports? Or would you rather them be uber-fem? Girly?
    Again, not trick questions. It's kind of a project.

6. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I am very picky about the figures of my romantic interests, so being athletic is important. An interest in sports can be very beneficial in relationships, too. *There's nothing like a girl who you can take to a baseball game without having to drag her, or better yet, one who cheers harder than you*.

The two extremes, tomboy and uber-fem, aren't nearly as attractive.

(*This applies to daughters and female family members just as much as girlfriends)

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd love for the heartbreakers to be conscious of others' feelings yet able to take control of a situation if they get backed into a corner. there's only so much i can do -- giving positive support -- while building their confidence levels, which is why i encourage sports ... softball, basketball, martial arts ... fuck, i've even supported them while playing god damned soccer.

words from mom and dad only mean so much. accomplishing physical tasks on their own is much like a mastercard commercial.

8. gingerbread

Thanks, both of you. I know you come from two very different perspectives.

As I told Cradlerobber, I've spent nearly 20 years writing about and observing men in their habitats, now I'm interested in how they view the women in their lives. Especially the young ones.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

gawd yes to sports.

more confidence, in so many ways (ability to overcome adversity; be physically active; like tom said, take control of a situation, etc., etc.)

and, i think it's important for girls to understand/develop those so-called traditional masculine traits just as it's important for guys to understand/develop our so-called traditional feminine traits. i have a problem with girls being uber-fem, just as i have a problem with guys being total machismo -- it's not attractive/appealing to me, in either case.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I have a feeling this is going to be the consensus 'round these parts. Even if your daughter/girlfriend/wife isn't a sports junkie, she should at least have a working knowledge of sports and a willingness to learn. Otherwise, there are going to be some awkward conversations between partners, and she could come off looking like a ditz in social situations.
    No guy wants that for his wife/girlfriend, and especially for his daughter.

11. gingerbread

I'm also curious for the fathers, or fathers-to-be, to explain how they envision their daughters' heroes? Does she have sports role models? Fictional role models? Seems it's Dora ....or Wonderwoman. I was Wonderwoman three straight Halloweens between age 9-11 and I sure didn't have curves then. Aren't these girls getting any other super heroes in their lives? Is daddy still the super hero?
    (and if so, that explains A LOT!)

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't have a daughter or wife. Had enough girlfriends.

That said, advice is cheap and I wouldn't offer it. People need to live their own lives. It's the only way you learn.

Edit: As for attraction to girls, I'm attracted to athletes, and my ideal mate is a point guard who loves baseball and soccer.

Draft saved Draft deleted