1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have an honor code?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's easy to say you don't expect others to live your honor code, but it doesn't happen that way in the real world.

Everyone makes decisions on whom they date and marry, make friends with, and associate with, based on common values (or a code).

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can I steal your stuff? Would you be OK with that?

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I have made a pledge to myself that I will not attend Brigham Young University until I am chaste, sober, decaffeinated and clean-shaven.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Well there is a difference though, isn't there, between laws and what we think of as an honor code? Stealing is breaking a law. Having sex before you're married - for example - isn't against the law but might break someone's honor code. I definitely think you could have an honor code for yourself and not expect anyone else to live by it, while at the same time expecting that other people in the society should follow laws.

5. A man's gots to have a code. Me, I live by dat pimp code. Yessur!

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I'll tell them to look at BYU, look at Charlie Sheen and say there is a place in the middle that should be fine.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

8. Mama Ilmago

Mama Ilmago New Member

1. There can never be enough HoF discussions.
    2. Top 10 lists are the bee's knees.
    3. Borrowing another's ideas and passing them off as your own is ok, as long as it's on the interwebs.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the same thing. We have laws which society agrees on. To me an honour code is a personal thing - the way I wish to live in the world.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don't get caught. Kill only the guilty. Be sure they're guilty. Don't stand out.

Oh, that's Dexter's code. Never mind

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED!?

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A fragment of my code: "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Draft saved Draft deleted