1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have an agent?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Point of Order, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

How prevalent, if at all, are agents in the sports journalism business? I distinctly remember the first time I went to work for a dot-com and they put the contract in front of me with a set term, non-compete clause, content production quotas I had to meet, choice of law provisions, and all sorts of other stuff I had no idea about. I was so ignorant that after thinking it over and discussing it with a friend or two I signed it with basically no questions ask.

So I wonder, as the world of sports journalism changes, does anyone ever use an agent in this business? I assume the upper echelon talent does, but it seems there are many folks whose careers are ascending but they haven't yet become prolific who might could stand to have an agent helping them negotiate their deals.

So, do you have an agent? If so, what's that like? Is it worth it? If you don't have one do you sometimes wish you did?

2. I'd be curious to see a percentage on how many writers actually work on a contract, but that's a separate topic, I supposed. I don't have an agent. ;)

3. Starting17

Starting17 Member

You'd be better off just asking a dependable lawyer about it or show it to then on a one-time thing. The only time I could see needing an agent would be if you're a writer, with another career on the side i.e. acting/writing a book/etc kinda thing. Other than that just weigh your own options and if you don't understand something in the contract just seek legal counsel to look over it and clear anything up.

Just my 2 cents

4. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Somewhere, Starting, there's an agent who can get you a heck of a lot more than 2 cents.

5. Starting17

Starting17 Member

Well im proud to say I make more than two cents hah.

6. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Very very generally speaking, once you are in a situation where multiple outlets are competing for your services in the same significant or major market, or the outlets are national in scope (either print, on-line, broadcast or a combination, which means you have leverage), and the dollars at stake are such that turning over 10-15% can be regained and then some through a salary increase/better terms a/o benefits, then by all means get an agent, both to negotiate the best deal you can get and to protect you, to make sure a contract is fair. Also for most book deals.

If you are not in a competitive situation, and the dollars are low to mid-five figures, getting an attorney to look over your contract for red flags, such as unreasonable "no compete" clauses and anything else hinky might be sufficient, just to explain the legalese. But every situation is different.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've never had one. Never even was close to having a reason to need one...

Almost everybody in TV who wants to move up has one or should have one.

If you get to the columnist level where you're working on contract, you should probably have one. Anyone who writes for or is on the air at all at ESPN should have one.

Draft saved Draft deleted