1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have a personal website?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jam3131, Oct 6, 2006.

1. slipshod

slipshod Member

Shit, I barely have a cell phone...and I just figured out how to run the microwave.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I have my resume online through a simple geocities account (part of yahoo!).

They work.

I got one job by sending my link to the managing editor even though the job ad specifically asked for a hard copy of resumes.

I then got my next job in similar fashion. I inquired about the gig and sent along a link to my site. Then I officially applied via e-mail stating I'd send my resume UPS the next day. The managing replied "don't worry about it, we've seen your stuff."

My online resume has 10 clips, five samples of page design and soon will have a photos section. It also has my resume, with every single previous employer listed, including all print, Internet writing, radio and freelance gigs. And it has a feedback section where I've posted reference letters, letters from readers (good and bad!) and thank you letters from editors after freelance work.

Pages at geocities are pretty easy to build, it's sort of like using Quark.

SSM

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Basic HTML is awfully easy ... plus I think it's good skill to have at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted