1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have a passport?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Apr 13, 2014.

?

Do you have a passport?

Poll closed Apr 19, 2014.
  1. No.

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No, but I have a passport card.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes but I haven't used it it yet.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, at least one that I have used.

47 vote(s)
    71.2%
  5. I did but it expired.

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Have a passport and Nexus card. Live 20 minutes from a border cross and have to travel there frequently for Job Deux.

Never carried a passport until the requirement for crossing into Canada/Mexico went into effect. Have never been to any other foreign country.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

While I'm thinking about it, this came up when my fiance and I were getting our passports:

What is the usefulness of getting just the card as opposed to the book (and where/when can you use just the card)? Is it just about being able to slip it into your wallet?

I thought it might be for people who live near the border with Canada or Mexico and have to travel back and forth regularly, but doesn't the "enhanced" driver's license cover you there?

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've been to Mexico and would like to visit Canada. Don't need a passport for either.

I have no desire to go anywhere else. I suffer from motion sickness and am a very picky eater.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's that, and it's supposedly harder to forge or hack.

Also, I think the card is less than half the cost of the book. So, there's that, too.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I got a passport a couple of years ago to go on a cruise.

I was 42, at the time, and it was my first. She's on her second book but doesn't use it that much.

She had an old job with international travel for work and she filled that one up pretty quick.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Compared the the demographics of US citizens, SportsJournalists.com members who answered the question are about twice as likely to hold a passport. Not bad!

I'm on about country No. 40 right now. Totally recommend this Redneck Riveria that I found in the Philippines.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It costs a fortune for airfare, but Southeast Asia in general is incredibly cheap when you get there.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

But I believe you need a passport to get back into the US

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

And if you live in China, it makes for much cheaper flights. I paid $250. The diving course was more than that.

10. Yes, you need a passport to travel back from Canada.

My kids' teacher just got back from Ireland. She said there's a recession over there. 7-day trip for $800.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Use of the card is more limited than the book.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card/Difference-Between-Passport-Book-and-Card.html

I thought about getting the card when we traveled to Spain in January because I wanted to have something to carry in my pocket while on morning runs. I just carried my state driver license and a piece of paper with the name of the hotel we were staying at and its phone number. Luckily, I didn't get hit by a bus and didn't have to find out if that would have worked.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Serious? Good to know.

Didn't need one when I went to Tijuana or Mexicali, but that was back in the 1990s.

Draft saved Draft deleted