1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have a passport?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Apr 13, 2014.

?

Do you have a passport?

Poll closed Apr 19, 2014.
  1. No.

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No, but I have a passport card.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes but I haven't used it it yet.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, at least one that I have used.

47 vote(s)
    71.2%
  5. I did but it expired.

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In most nations your passport is your ID.

Here we delegate that responsibility to your . . . driver's license.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I have one, but I live about 90 miles from Canada ... :)

... and have been there a grand total of once since I moved here in 2009. :(

Maybe we'll head north again this summer, for a weekend.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had one, but it expired. Do I have to present it when applying for a new one, if and when I do?

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I renewed mine before it expired and I had to send it in with my application. It was later mailed back to me.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Likewise when I renewed mine earlier this year.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'd like to go visit other countries (namely Italy, to see Rome and Vatican City), but there are way too many places I want to see in the U.S. first. I haven't been to over 30 states. I've never been to New York City or LA. Really I haven't seen much outside of the midwest where I live. I'll never travel outside the country unless I see more of my own. And I'll probably never as much of my own as I want.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've traveled a lot. I've been to Europe six times. I covered the Sydney Olympics, which I think was the only time I went outside of North America for work.

I've been to five continents.

At this point in my life, travel has lost all appeal to me. I want to go to Australia again since I didn't get to experience it on any level at the Olympics. That whole time was a complete blur and I couldn't go early or stay late. Egypt is the only other place I want to go to, but I have no desire to travel to that region.

8. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I've traveled outside the U.S. just twice - unless you count strolling over to Tijuana from San Diego several times while I was in the Marine Corps - but both times I was in the Marines. I spent six months in Okinawa and a month in Greece (not as cool as it would sound). I didn't need a passport because we were on a military chartered plane and I've actually never had one. Although, being that my girlfriend loves to travel, that'll change in the near future.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I had one as a kid because we traveled for my Dad's job (oil & gas), but it expired when I was 14.

Haven't really needed one since, because the only times I've left the country in the last 25 years were to go to Canada and Mexico (this was back in 2006, before you needed a passport).

However, I'm getting married this summer and we are going to Cabo for our honeymoon, so we had to go get passports. Got it in the mail last week, actually.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My first passport photo, taken at the most awkward possible time during my teenage development, stands the test of time as the worst photo ever taken of me.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Had a well-used one since my late teens. Use it every year.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I never had a passport until a couple years ago when I had to get one because I was assigned to cover an event in Canada. I'd previously been to Canada and to Mexico before passports were necessary for that.

The thing I remember about those trips was that when I went to Canada, I was stopped as I was entering the country and they looked through my car, opened the trunk, etc., but when I came back, I sailed right into the U.S. and didn't even have to stop the car. Mexico was the exact opposite. I strolled into Mexico without a second look from anyone, but when I returned to the U.S., they stopped me and checked everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted