1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you guys sleep?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fishwrapper, Feb 16, 2008.

?

On average, how much sleep do you get?

1. Under 4 hours

1.1%
  2. 4-6 hours

24.4%
  3. 6-8 hours

56.7%
  4. 8-10 hours

17.8%
  5. 10+ hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Me too. I refuse to go to sleep before 1 am. I honestly haven't gone to bed before 1 am since high school. There was a period, when I was working 9 to 5 at a magazine, where I'd go to bed at 1:30 every night. That was a long time ago though.

Since then, the closest I've come to going to bed before 1 am was last fall, when I was up for 30-odd straight hours on a deadline and a complete fucking zombie by 9 pm on a Friday night. I mean, I was so tired, it was like I was having an out of body experience. I would drink soda and hope it didn't dribble out of my mouth. I ordered dinner around 9, hoping for that second wind, but even that didn't work. Finally, at like 10:30, I said to my wife "wake me up in half an hour" and rolled over on the recliner.

She said "Why don't you just go to bed?" I said "I can't! It's not 1 am yet!"

It took me days to recover from that one.

2. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Sam, are you Dreaming While You Sleep? Should we play Unquiet Slumber for the Sleepers? Scenes from a Night's Dream?

3. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

I believe I would function better if days were 30 hours long. I would sleep for 10 and be awake for 20.
    I have issues with inertia. When I'm at rest, I want to stay at rest and when I'm moving, I want to stay moving.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

6-8 hrs. I usually go to bed pretty late. When I wake up depends on what I need to to the next day /if my body will allow me to sleep that much.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's going to end once the little one arrives.

As for me, I work at night and get home in the wee hours. My kids get me up early after 4-5 hours of sleep. Then once they are in school, I go back to bed for 2-3 hours.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have to get eight hours a night, minimum. But I am a morning person, as my stats will show.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

5-6 on the weekdays, 8 on the weekends.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I need to be either less than 4 or more than 8 to be functional. However, I usually end up sleeping around 6, which means I'm a zombie.

Worst part: I haven't slept more than 45 minutes in a row for as long as I can remember. I wake up like eight times a night.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hate going to bed before 3 a.m. Even when I have things to do in the morning -- like today's three-hour drive beginning at 7 -- I still don't go to bed at a "normal" time. When I had a five-hour drive ahead of me last weekend, I left on two hours' sleep at 8 a.m. Of course, there was a mini-marathon of Roseanne on Nick at Nite. Actually, Nick at Nite is probably the main cause of all my sleeping problems.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wake up at least twice a night, though it's never quite that frequent.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

In case you guys haven't noticed reading our posts, we are not normal.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You mean the posts just on this thread?

Draft saved Draft deleted