1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you guys sleep?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fishwrapper, Feb 16, 2008.

?

On average, how much sleep do you get?

1. Under 4 hours

1.1%
  2. 4-6 hours

24.4%
  3. 6-8 hours

56.7%
  4. 8-10 hours

17.8%
  5. 10+ hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If I get six hours, that's a very good night. Usually 4 1/2-5, and on the low side of that range.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Actually, I think you snore less during deep sleep. I think deep sleep is when you start shallowly breathing. I've woken up during deep sleep a couple of times and while going back to sleep I feel like I'm dying because I can't take a shallow breath, my body won't move and my brain is awake enough to know what the hell is going on.

It's not a fun feeling. My work schedule is hell on my sleep. I usually get about 5 hours Wed-Fri. and then Saturday and Sunday I get six or seven. My days off (Mon/Tues) I end up getting 8 or so unless I'm exhausted. Then I get more.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I get anywhere from 6-9 hours of sleep, depending on what time I go to work the next day, what I was doing the night before, and things like that. I'm actually pretty good about getting a good amount. Of course, I don't have anyone jumping on me early in the morning, and I don't have any phones that wake me up if I don't want them to.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm usually right at six hours or so. In bed around 11, maybe fall asleep by midnight and up at 6 a.m.

I haven't done it in a while, but I used to go through stretches where I could control what I was dreaming about. it'd usually happen in mid-morning. My apartment was totally quiet and I had flannel sheets that felt like they wrapped all around me. Maybe it had something to do with sensory deprivation.
    I'd set the alarm for about 9, but not have to be in at work until the afternoon. As I'm hitting the snooze alarm, I'd briefly fall back asleep in those little nine-minute snatches. During that time, I'd be able to pick up where I'd left off in my dream before the alarm went off. It wasn't just thinking about the dream, though. The dream was resuming like it normally would. Only if it was starting to go off the rails, I'd be able to bring it back (like keeping a nightmare from getting too scary). And I'd also be able to think about something that was going on in my life, and have a dream about it.
    It was weird. Almost like a form of meditation. It'd come and go, maybe a week at a time every couple months, that I'd get into a rhythm where I could do this. I kind of miss it.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm with you.
    I used to sleep 9-10 hours every night, but lately I've been forcing myself to get up on less sleep so I actually have some time before I go to work. I was getting way to burned out on the job when I would wake up at noon or 1 p.m. and then just go to work.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You bring up another point. I can hear that damn BlackBerry dinging, chirping, squawking, beeping, hiccuping and it's like my crack. I've got to check it. Got to...Got to...she's calling me.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ah, you see that's the other thing. My cellphone is nowhere near when I'm in bed. I'm at one end of a room, the phone is at the other end, with its speaker pretty soft. I'll sleep through text-messages and calls.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I hate when the real world invades my dreams. A couple of times, I've dreamed there's this beeping sound, and I can't figure out where it's coming from or how to turn it off. I unplug everything in sight and it still won't stop. Then I wake up and realize my alarm has been going off for about 10 minutes.

Once I had a dream in which everything led to me waiting for a very important phone call. Then the phone rang (in my dream) and just as I went to pick it up, I woke up to the real phone ringing.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Last night was probably the first dream I've remembered in about a year. I never remember them. Probably has to do with my sleep, but maybe not.

Seven hours' sleep is about perfect for me, I think. Any more than that, and I'm exhausted. Any less than that, and I can function on adrenaline for a day or two but I better make up for it soon after.

Usually get to bed around 3-4-5 a.m., but lately I haven't been waking up 'til around noon, which isn't good for me.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh man, the cell goes on vibrate all the time. And if I have it laying on my floor (my bed isn't that high off) I don't hear anything.

11. fishwrapper

I've always wanted to remember my dreams...until now.

12. fishwrapper

I suppose it depends on the gig. I, for the most part, am always available.
    I have it set for standby mode for the middle of the night, but "IT" wakes up sometimes before I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted