1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you guys sleep?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fishwrapper, Feb 16, 2008.

?

On average, how much sleep do you get?

1. Under 4 hours

1.1%
  2. 4-6 hours

24.4%
  3. 6-8 hours

56.7%
  4. 8-10 hours

17.8%
  5. 10+ hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't sleep much. Used to. But, working as much as I do, making sure I'm involved with my family and friends outside of work, I just don't sleep.
    On a good night, five hours. Off days? I've got kids jumping on me at 6:30 a.m.
    What about you guys? You have a "catch-up day?" In bed till noon?

According to the National Sleep Foundation (www.sleepfoundation.org) you need at least three to five sleep cycles per night. Cycles typically last about 90 minutes.

Each cycle has four distinct stages:

Stage 1 (Drowsiness) - When you first fall asleep, you are in Stage 1 sleep (Drowsiness). Stage 1 lasts just five or ten minutes. Eyes move slowly under the eyelids, and muscle activity slows down. You are easily awakened during Stage 1 sleep.
    Stage 2 (Light Sleep) - Next, you go into Stage 2 sleep (Light Sleep). In Stage 2, eye movements stop, heart rate slows, and body temperature decreases.
    Stages 3 & 4 (Deep Sleep) - Then you enter Stages 3 and 4 (Deep Sleep). During stages 3 and 4, you are difficult to awaken. People who are awakened during Deep Sleep do not adjust immediately and often feel groggy and disoriented for several minutes after they wake up. Children may experience bedwetting, night terrors, or sleepwalking during Deep Sleep.
    REM sleep (Dream Sleep) - At about 70 to 90 minutes into your sleep cycle, you enter REM sleep. You usually have three to five REM episodes per night. Your eyes jerk rapidly in various directions under your eyelids, thus the name Rapid Eye Movement (REM) Sleep.

Anyhow, I'm for sleep. I'm for dreams.
    I just do do much of the former, and for the life of me, I can't remember dreams.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I'll sleep when I'm dead.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I do good to get six hours during the week. On fridays/saturdays, i get 8-9. Saturday nite to sunday morning, i usually get 5 or so hours and nap after church until time to go back.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I get 71/2-8 hours a night, cats permitting.

I don't function otherwise.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My sleep patterns are complicated by apnea.

I've been reluctant to start wearing the mask, though.

I need 7 or so most nights. If I cut that short for a few too many nights, then I may throw down one of those 10-hour sleep extravaganzas.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've had bouts with insomnia as long as I can remember. A few months ago I bought a mask to put over my eyes and this helps quite a bit, except on those nights when the elastic band annoys the crap out of me. We also have a noise machine (Brookstone, I think) with a bunch of different sounds, and we use the "white noise" setting. And then I'm fine unless I snore loudly and my wife shoves me.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

As long as I exercise regularly, I sleep great and get a solid 7-8 hours a night. When I don't, which has been the case lately, I have a hard time crashing.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I usually go to bed at 2 AM. Fall asleep at 3 AM and wake up at either 9 or 10 AM.

Seven to eight hours a night, every night.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I snore, too. I get the elbow, too.
    Damnit! That should be listed in the stages of the sleep cycle. Right about "Deep Sleep."

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I pretty much always get 8 hours sleep. Now sometimes, I can't get to sleep by 3 a.m. But once I'm under, I'm pretty much dead to the world. 99% of the time, I don't get woken by my girlfriend's alarm clock.

I think a lack of worry contributes to it. I certainly think a relaxed mind is going to sleep a lot more easily than a fraught one.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I probably average six hours a night. Saturday to Sunday, I get about eight hours. That's my catch-up day.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I agree with you GB. I haven't had a worry in months (knock on wood) and I've been able to get to sleep and stay asleep.

Draft saved Draft deleted