1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you go to church regularly?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Jan 22, 2010.

?

Do you go to Church?

1. Yes, every week

16.2%
  2. Yes, most of the time

21.2%
  3. Rarely

17.2%
  4. Christmas and Easter only

11.1%
  5. Never

32.3%
  6. I haven't seen the inside of a church since I was baptized

2.0%
  1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I understand my parents' frustrations. They raised my Catholic and I come from a family that is almost entirely Catholic. They try to remind me to go to Mass, but like I said, we enjoy the other church. My kids are learning about God and Jesus. We enjoy it. I learn a lot. I just want to ask our Catholic friends who give us a hard time, "Isn't that enough?"

2. I have never understood why people think one church is better than the other. To me, when I hear that, they are making it about them, and not about God. Personally, I LOVE my church, and attend every week. I serve in other capacities at the church as well, but am certainly not the most involved person, not even in my family. The reason I love my church . . . they accept all people . . . and are the first to tell you if what they offer isn't for you, then all they ask is that you find it at some church, because really, the endgame to them is that you find Jesus in your life. Not that they are the ones who deliver it. Whether you are christian, catholic, baptist, whatever, that should always be the end game.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Proud, it's tough to say it better than that.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Started going again when my sister expressed and interest in going regularly. It's better going with a group, and I guess it serves a purpose in trying to make sense of the craziness that goes on in the world - I just wish the Catholic Church didn't seem so intent to go backwards and made more of an effort to be relevant in people's lives today.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I go but I get paid. Wasn't sure where to vote. :-\

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'm at church every week, but sadly, not on Sundays for service.

I give my kids and up to five additional kids rides home from Wednesday youth group. With working two jobs which involve too much dealing with the public and kids in activities, by Sunday I am so wiped I usually don't even leave the house.

When the kids were younger, it was much easier to make Sunday services.

I don't think God is going to count that against me. At least I sure hope not. You'd think the Christian and gospel music on my Zune would balance it out somehow. ;)

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I agree. We have all had many "dad moments" since then where is he guiding us in some way or talking to us. It's been very strange and wonderful all at the same time.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I've only been once in the past four months. Just haven't found the right church.

But I do pray more than once daily, and the gf and I have daily devotionals. Even though I'm not a consistent presence in church, I feel God is very much in my life.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I grew up Catholic and have since left religion altogether ... yadda yadda ... anyway I'm still plugged into my Catholic roots and cringe with horror about the crap I hear coming out of the former home parish.

According to my parents and others, the church I went to as a kid has a priest who had been caught selling indulgences in the past. I couldn't believe that stuff still goes on, but apparently there are still suckers out there who will pay sizable sums of money for the forgiveness of sin. Of course, the Catholic organizational structure in all their wisdom just dumps him on another parish when he pisses enough people off.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Some areas excepted, I think church membership will decline markedly within the next generation. Ask yourself how many people you know who go to church more often than their parents did. Nobody I know does.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good point. I'm in the same boat. Then again, maybe we just surround ourselves with other heathens.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How many of those people's parents were going to church when they were that age?

You can't assume that people will behave the same way in their 60s as they do in their 30s.

Draft saved Draft deleted