1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you go to church regularly?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Jan 22, 2010.

?

Do you go to Church?

1. Yes, every week

16.2%
  2. Yes, most of the time

21.2%
  3. Rarely

17.2%
  4. Christmas and Easter only

11.1%
  5. Never

32.3%
  6. I haven't seen the inside of a church since I was baptized

2.0%
  1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Why is believing in God 'lame?'

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

When i want to feel better about my plight, I just read a few pages of the dating thread.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

KY, if you're still taking Buck's posts literally after years...well, I don't know what to tell you.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nice!

5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

I'm still trying to convince the folks at my church that the real words to "Come Christians Join to Sing" begin with "Come and sing Ohio's praise." But I don't think they would get the whole arm spelling thing at the end.[/Ohio State fan]

6. Krazy Ray

Krazy Ray New Member

No way. I actually value my brain cells.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I rarely go to synagogue, except for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.

For one thing, the services are on Friday nights, when I was working. And on my rare Fridays off, I wanted to do something fun.

For another thing, the services are way long (2-plus hours for a regular service. My kids sure as heck won't sit through it.

I went to a church with a friend for a Sunday service once, and was shocked that it was over in less than an hour.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I go most every Sunday. or at least try to.
    I feel better after going to church, it takes the edge off and I enjoy interacting with the people there.
    Not being married, my church going experience is different than those with kids and such.
    Plus, I'm pretty involved. Active in the church's big annual shindig and serve as chair and it is hard work but very satisfying.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll step inside a church for weddings and funerals, but neither of mine will be in one.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

When visiting my parents, I'll sometimes make mom feel good and go to Sunday mass.

Was an altar boy from 4th grade until 10th grade. Stayed way too long in that role, as the robes were at like my knees because I grew so much and they never had larger robes. Ugh. A few years ago we went with my folks to the old church - my parents' house is a two-minute walk to the church. During part of the service, perhaps the Eucharistic prayer, the altar boys - and girls now - started using a bell. Ring, ring ring. Ring, ring ring. It looked like a cowbell. My wife started giggling - she was also raised Catholic - and I had to keep catching myself from giggling, so I was sort of snorting. Fortunately my parents didn't hear. That bell just did it. I'd never had to use a bell as an altar boy and didn't realize it was what they did now and was apparently what they did back in the day.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I never knew a church service needed more cowbell.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm in Church about three of four Sundays a month. I am the numbskull who handles teller duties. Which also means today, I'm busting my arse getting tax receipts ready to go out this Sunday.

Draft saved Draft deleted