1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you go to church regularly?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Jan 22, 2010.

?

Do you go to Church?

1. Yes, every week

16.2%
  2. Yes, most of the time

21.2%
  3. Rarely

17.2%
  4. Christmas and Easter only

11.1%
  5. Never

32.3%
  6. I haven't seen the inside of a church since I was baptized

2.0%
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're saying you play hard to get?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I went on holidays when we visited my then-alive grandmother. And I went through a phase 10 years or so ago when I was trying to figure out if it was real.

I decided it wasn't, and the closest I get now is driving past one on my way home each night.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was raised in a Presbyterian Church and my parents, normally pretty easy going, made us all go to Sunday School every week. When we got older, we had to sit through the entire service This was also an era where guys (no matter what the age) wore suits and ties so you couldn't wait to get home and ditch those for your play clothes.

Here it is: Knox Presbyterian Church, Burlington, Ontario. Built in about 1872.

[​IMG]

Looking back, all I can remember about the service was that God was a seriously grumpy old man and you shouldn't piss Him off.Also, all the cool kids went to the United Church of Canada.

In its favour, the Church had one awesome pipe organ.

Other than my childhood, I haven't been to church more than a handful of times in the last forty or so years. Last time was an Xmas Eve church service at Rosedale United where HC sings. Gord Lightfoot was making his annual visit and did a couple of songs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Stopped right after Catholic HS and never looked back. I miss the hymns and the sense of community, though. In fact, I usually try to find a night or afternoon around the holidays when the local Catholic church has some type of choir performance. It's very uplifting.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Mmm... eeh yeah could be. ;)

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm in deep thought about that very subject right this moment.

Damn. Your feelings get hurt pretty easily, huh?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

My wife and I used to be quite regular, but for the past 3-4 months I haven't been attending for one reason or another. This past Sunday was my first time to attend since late October. It's not any dissatisfaction with the church. We've got a good fellowship, not too big and not too small (@250-300 on Sunday), and a very good pastor who's young enough (mid-30s) to appeal to a younger crowd, but is traditional enough in his approach to keep the older folks interested.

I enjoy it. I'm not a religious fanatic, but I do have a strong faith, and I like the sense of community that comes with being part of a congregation that is active in mission work both at home and abroad.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'll put on my serious face for a second (just for you, Lugnuts).

When I was young, I went to church just about every Sunday. Always Sunday School. As an adult, not so much. Both my grandmothers attend every Sunday. Never miss one. And both are heavily involved in their churches. I don't share the same enthusiasm. I have faith and believe in God. I just do it away from church.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

"Chreaster" is what I've heard in Lutheran circles, Captain.

If this turns into a pot luck, I'll bring the lutefisk.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Believing in god is way lamer than going to church.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Nice try. You're still coming to the pot luck. Lutefisk isn't that bad, once you get used to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted