1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you get calls like this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

AT&T person: "We want you to know you qualify for high-speed DSL for $37 a month."

Me: "Sorry, but I'm out of work and can't afford it."

AT&T person: "Oh. We can offer it to you for $17."

Oh? I wonder how many of your current customers would like to know that.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And that's my next response to a cold call.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My cell phone is on the Do Not Call registry.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. You can still get calls from these people.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

What do they mean "you qualify"?!! I think as long as you're in AT&T's coverage area, you qualify. They make it sound as though you won something.

And, not knowing anything about your finances, why do they think if they knock off 20 bucks a month, you can suddenly afford high-speed DSL? If I were that clown, and you told me you were currently out of work, I might think that high speed Internet probably isn't at the top of your list of must-haves right now.

And, yes, I have also noticed that phone (and cable) companies are all about giving great deals to new customers, but tend to do very little for their existing customers.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd have asked for an application. I wonder if they have a response for that.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I've gotten this before from a different place. All I did was tell them I was canceling because I could get a better deal from another. They lowered their rate.

It's definitely worth trying.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The best place the I'm unemployed line works is with charity callers.
    "Hi sir, I'm from XYZ Charity, how are you today?"
    "Not so good, I just got laid off and will have trouble making ends meet"
    "Sorry to hear that, have a good day"

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

This is why I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the area code. If they ACTUALLY need to talk to me, they can leave a message.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That was the benefit of having a land line at my old place. I got it because the reception was bad -- my cell cut out while I was telling Comcast I didn't need the phone option (you're a funny guy, Jesus) -- but ended up using it only to field foreign calls and interview people.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Don't know how many of you guys listen to Howard Stern, but he had Jim Florentine on the other day and Florentine just released a CD entitled "Terrorizing Telemarketers, Volume 5". There is an absolutely hilarious skit where this guy from a debt-release company is calling Jim. Jim picks up, listens to his spiel and has his friend pick up pretending to be the phone guy fixing his line.

The friend listens to the Telemarketer pitch his debt-relief company and then interrupts, saying "You shouldn't trust those guys. They're scams."

Five minutes of back-and-forth go on and, well, go to the guy's website and listen for yourself. http://www.jimflorentine.com/index.html.

My favorite line?

Friend: "They usually charge a fee."

Telemarketer: "Sir, it is true that we charge 15 percent...."

Friend: "Jim, I know a guy in Jersey that can help you for five percent..."

Telemarketer: "This is ridiculous!"

Jim: "Well, I think he's making a good point."

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I wonder how some of those people can sleep at night.

Draft saved Draft deleted