1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Forward Feedback To Your SE/ME?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I got an e-mail today that made me feel good. It was from someone with no vested interest in anything I cover. Just a complimentary e-mail.

Does anyone on the board forward these to their superiors?

And, before anyone asks, I do own up to mistakes. If I get an email that says "hey, you screwed this name/stat/quote up — or hey man, you should talk to so-and-so for another angle" — I bring those to the attention of the powers that be. And we'll run a correction if need be.

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Re: Do You Forward Feedback To You SE/ME?

Yes, I'll forward feedback, but not everything. That could be excessive.

As for mistakes...sometimes....

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Positive and negative feedback should both be forwarded.

As a sports editor, I relish getting both about the folks I supervise. The good frequently winds up in their annual reviews. And if there is a pattern to the negative, that is a growth opportunity or on occasion a correction that might need to be made.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Oh I send negative stuff, too. My bosses don't mind. In fact, they generally tend to think I'm doing my job if I provoke reaction, or lots of discussion, with my stories. And I don't take the negative stuff real personally.

I was just meaning I sometimes get lots of e-mails, so I just pick out a sampling, and forward.

5. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

QFT.

I got an e-mail from a guy who praised a student writer I had. He said her writing was of major metro quality. I *immediately* forwarded it to my shop's CEO.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Nothing to add to the discussion except to be a grammar Nazi. I thoroughly enjoy the Bob Marley-esque grammar in the thread title. "Forward feedback to I SE. A fire a man's own business."

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shouldn't nazi be capped?

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Foisted by my own petard. Well played.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

;)

10. Re: Do You Forward Feedback To You SE/ME?

I'd never, ever forward feedback that complimented me personally. I wouldn't even consider it. If I were a SE, though, I'd absolutely forward positive feedback about underlings.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I forward any unusually positive feedback to my sports editor, e-mail that goes beyond, "Hey, cool story!" I also forward it to anyone else involved, particularly photogs. I've probably gotten more specific compliments on photos than writing in the past six months.

The managing editor? Not so much, though I don't think he'd mind hearing some good news occasionally.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

If you have worked for a while at a paper and your SE has never said anything like "Hey, coach Smith called and he really liked your gamer" or "A reader called and enjoyed that feature" ... you can discern that he or she won't forward compliments to you. Either that or you really suck. It's nice to hear compliments, but i always take kudos and criticism from readers with a grain of salt.

Draft saved Draft deleted