1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel odd around writers who crank stuff out?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I am all in favor of not resurrecting the piddling thread as well. Principals on both sides of the aisle have said their peace, and have more or less agreed to disagree. Which is fine with me!

rb

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Boobie (Ha!),

That's tough, man. I definitely know I'm lucky...I feel bad for the majority of guys and gals, who have to deal with situations like the ones you're describing.

spnited,

Yeah, pretty much. It beats working for a living.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Can't argue with that logic

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

For the record, I'm exaggerating for effect, both in my original post and in my reply to yours. But you get the idea.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Thank you. I, like Boobie, am very disappointed in this thread.

6. Jor El

Jor El Guest

Word.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

8. As someone who knows M_W in real life, lemme say that he is a prolific writer. He's not some jerk-off goob who writes one prep advance per day.

And, yea, media centers near the coaches' offices are nice.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Freaky. Do I post under two names here and not even know it?

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Whicker wrote his column and made it home from a road game before I finished writing my gamer. But that was before 9-11 and increased airport time.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hi. My name is shotglass, and I am a cranker.

(Hello, shotglass...)

I'll be the first to admit, it took me a long time to get over people taking three hours to get into work mode upon arriving. And what finally got me over it was realizing what an asshole I'd sound like if I were to say anything about it.

If somebody gets the job done in one hour after piddling for seven, fine. Sort of.

If the desk is waiting for a non-deadline, pregame story an hour before deadline because someone piddled for seven hours, there is a real problem. And the writer needs to re-examine his/her workday.

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

It may not even be the work pace that differs with me as much as the fact that some people just seem constantly frantic while doing this job. It can be discombobulating to be around.

Draft saved Draft deleted