1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you ever think about your first?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Apr 2, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No, but she graduated from a MILF at my 20-year HS reunion to a GILF at my 30 year reunion.

2. I had several crushes early on, but I didn't try to really act on one until 7th grade.

I thought Angela was one of the best-looking girls around. She was a HUGE Duran Duran fan. Nick was her favorite band member. And she was smart - gifted smart. Not that was a mental slouch.
    She was going with a guy in her gifted class, Scott. But what the hell, I took a shot.
    On Valentine's Day, I had flowers delivered to her at school.
    I went to a small Catholic middle school in which the 7th and 8th grade classes were merged.
    I saved for a few weeks to scrape together $30.
    The day before Valentine's day, I gave the money to my friend Chris who lived across the street from the flower shop. Chris was also the only person who know about my plan.
    Chris hooked me up and arranged the delivery. I sent the flowers, and had the card signed as simply "an admirer."
    Chris said the flowers for Angela would arrive about 11 a.m.
    By 10 a.m. my prepubescent butt was sweating bullets. I was scared, nervous, thrilled and anxious all rolled into one. I could barely make it through my weekly comic book reading session (The Amazing Spider Man, Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider Man, Iron Man and GI Joe).
    My little secret was also out. Chris leaked the secret that morning and by 10 a.m. every girl in the room knew.
    By 10:45 I was pacing the floor by the windows, waiting for the delivery truck.
    By 11 a.m. everyone knew, the whole class, including the teacher and my mother, who worked at the school. When the knock at the door came, the entire class fell silent. ...
    The teacher answered the door and when she turned around she had this small vase of flowers.
    "Angela," she said walking over to her desk. "These are for you."
    All the girls ohh and awwwed. Angela, was clearly embarrassed (in a good way). I was also embarrassed (Not exactly in a good way).
    The class went crazy for a moment, with my buddies all razzing me and the girls all thinking I was sweet. The teacher - my mother and even Angela's mother - all thought I was the sweetest thing in the world - for a day anyway.
    When things died down, Angela came over and thanked me for the flowers. Made MY Fucking day!!!
    But that was it. She was never intrested me and we never got together. We went to school together for the next three years, before I transferred to another high school.
    My crush for lingered for several years...
    I never regretted it. I hope I made a great memory for Angela in my attempt to swing for the fences.
    Years later, her mom told me she kept the vase the flowers came in on a shelf in her room.

Angela graduated from college and medical school and got married. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor about a year later and died shortly there after.

I didn't go to the funeral.

3. My first crush in life was Cherrita Robbins way back in first grade. Caramel skin, deep brown eyes and a gap-toothed grin that Bobby Clarke would've been proud of. She was the complete opposite of me, an outgoing, silly live wire of a girl, while I was the shy, awkward kinda uptight first grader (yeah, one of those). I saw her several times between the time I left Catholic school after third grade and my junior year of high school. A classmate of mine was bragging how he tried to hit it, but apparently couldn't complete the job. I was saddened to know that someone ALMOST got the drawers instead of me, but I still think about our three years in catholic school together, her chasing me around swearing that SHE would make a man out of me. If only I were so lucky.

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Great story, but what a tragic ending.
    In no way am I trying to make light of this, but I almost felt like I did when I watched "Million Dollar Baby." Great story and then, out of left field it takes a tragic turn and I just sat there stunned. Sadly, I know it's all too common in real life and we all don't get happy endings. :(

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's some good stuff, Evil ... well, you know what I mean. I'm glad you don't regret doing that stuff. I kind of regret going all-out for a girl who really didn't like me -- at least how I liked her. I was clearly infatuated with the girl, and having never been on a date or, obviously, had a girlfriend, I didn't know how to release those feelings.

So, for some reason, I began to write them down in verses. I never read poetry or had the slightest interest in it. But there I was, night after night, just writing them down at a feverish pace -- sometimes three a night, which was more work than I'd done in my first two years of high school.

Eventually, I got the courage to give them to Kristy. I printed 10 of my favorites out, put them together and handed her the packet after school and left her in the hallway. When I saw her the next day, she said nothing about them, and I just dropped the situation. I figured I probably went too far and nothing would ever be the same between us, and it really never was.

The next week or two, we started talking again, but it was at a distance, so to speak. I remember switching to her bus on a school trip to Florida over Christmas, going from Bus 1 (where the cool kids were) to Bus 2. It was a 23-hour trip, and maybe then we'd be able to get back to normal -- or even get together; I was dumb and desperate, looking back on things.

Kristy and her best friend sat behind me and my friend, and we did have some fun. But while we made some stops to eat along the trip, I started talking with this cute blond I'd never really noticed in four months -- most likely because I was borderline-obsessed with this other girl. While we were in Florida, the blond and I started going out -- the start of a four-year relationship. She was on Bus 1. Wonderful.

While Kristy and I remained decent friends until she graduated that year and then hung out two or three times over the next summer, we never did speak of those letters and that time period. She asked how I was doing with my girlfriend, and I'd tell her "OK" or "She's an idiot" or "great," depending on how we were at the time. For a while, I thought she felt like she missed out on something special. She didn't. I know that now. But it was nice to feel that for a little bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted