1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you ever miss school?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Wow, surprised so many people miss school.

I understand the part about how you might get a little more out of college if you went later instead of right after high school.

When I hear friends and relatives complaining about this and that assignment on class or what have you from professional school or grad school though, I don't miss school at all.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This, from the man who won't let his kids watch Tom and Jerry....

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Now you know why ... just look at me ... I'm batshit over the moon and I've probably seen every Tom & Jerry.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, I'll give you the Fred Quimby's, Chuck Jones's and the Hanna and Barbera's...
    But even Gene Deitch?

5. Bubbler

Was Deitch the weird-ass late period ones?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup.. the herky-jerky ones that made you immediately surf for something a little less annoying to watch for the next eight minutes....

7. Bubbler

I was just reading up on that, apparently MGM farmed Tom & Jerry out to the Goddamn Commies!

Deitch was a Czech animator, and MGM outsourced Tom & Jerry to him for a few years in the early 60s. Given what I remember of those avant-gardish cartoons, it makes sense.

You learn something new everyday.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Chew on this....
    Think of the Simpsons, when they lost Itchy and Scratchy to Gabbo.
    The replacement was some Eastern European cat and mouse crap that left Krusty going "What the hell was that?!"
    Since I&S were Tom and Jerry on steroids, was that a veiled shot at Gene Deitch?

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'd love to do high school again because I completely botched it. My grades were super, but I didn't involve myself in anything beyond my classes.

While I had a small group of pals, I only went to one party my senior year. My prep sports career consisted of two weeks on the freshman football team. I was a third-stringer, and I missed practice the day they showed everyone how to put on pads. After putting my thigh pads in backward and upside down about six times, I tossed all of my equipment into the locker and rode my bike home.

I also didn't go to a single high school dance. And I wasn't a member of anything. Essentially, I walked into the school, shuffled from one room to another and then promptly left the campus at the end of the day.

I did manage to attend several basketball and football games.

10. Bubbler

I know the Simpsons you're writing about. Knowing what I know now, that scene becomes even funnier than it already was.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

More useless T&J trivia Bubs....
    Bill Hanna did the early voices for T&J, including Tom's scream -- perhaps the greatest in cartoondom...
    And the episode that had Jerry's Uncle Pecos plucking Tom's whiskers for guitar strings? The voice was the guy who later guest-starred on Beverly Hillbillies as Shorty Keller...

12. Bubbler

Are the Deitch shorts the ones where Tom has this deep, scary-ass voice that reverbs? That scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted