1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you ever do this at airports?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Kaylee, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey, at least I wasn't contagious.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ragu, I didn't know you posted as Boots on the side.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

My grandmother, after my grandfather died last April, has been flying a lot; to SC to visit my uncle, to San Diego to visit her sister, etc.

I always wonder what she's like on a plane, because she's a talker. I always hope she doesn't make anyone next to her to mad by talking the whole flight.

Although judging by these stories, a sweet 75-year-old woman who just wants to talk and doesn't smell seems like a walk in the park.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I hope I don't get the woman-blocking-the-DirecTV-console Sunday, when I have the pleasure (so everyone says) of my virgin JetBlue flight.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, on a flight to Cincinnati, me and the guy next to me do nothing except say hello as we take our seats. Twenty minutes into the flight he starts talking to himself. At first I think he's talking to me, except that he's sitting in the window seat and he's looking out the window while he's talking. As I listen, it appears he knows he's getting axed and he's preparing his responses for his talk with the boss. This goes on for a good half-hour. When the flight attendant comes around to serve drinks, she notices this, looks at me and obviously has a soft spot for being seated next to this wacko. She then goes and finds me a seat in first class, where everyone was sane.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If she is then she'll be seated on your lap because back of every seat has one.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Good flights, bad flights, delays, changes. Eh, it's just a flight. I have my book or magazine and bury myself in it.

But I hate -- absolutely hate -- the loud talker. Everything he or she says can be heard, and no one gives a shit about their trip, wedding, funeral, Christian spirit, son, daughter, husband, wife or whatever else is the topic of conversation.

I watched a guy recently about three rows up invade the space of the woman next to him for an hour, starting at the gate and ending after she fled the plane. He was a lean-in-to-talk guy, a hand-waver, a get-close guy who apparently didn't or couldn't understand why she was crouching in the corner of the seat against the window.

Loud talkers, and the guy who slams down the arm rest as if it's the Great Wall of Delta to keep me or any part of me from touching him. If he'd leave the damn thing raised we both would have more room.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

In airplanes and restaurants and virtually anywhere that's public, I have one golden rule about conversational volume.

Your conversation shouldn't be loud enough for me to participate in it. A din of voices is one thing. Being able to clearly understand the conversation you're having such that I could respond if I felt inclined is quite another.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I remember one flight that neither the guy next to me or I were particularly chatty.
    On the approach to Midway in extreme turbulence, the plane hit a pocket and dropped quite a bit. my seatmate and I look at each other wide eyed and I turned to him, stuck my hand out and said "I'm Slappy. If we die, I want one person on this plane to know who I am."

10. boots

boots New Member

Have you ever gotten sick, I mean passing gas sick on a crowded plane. Happened to me two weeks ago. I couldn't help it. The gas wouldn't stop coming out. Fortunately, the guy next to me was sleep but I did notice that he frowned his nose every time I let one go. Many of those were of the silent variety.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll pass.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thus bringing new meaning to the phrase, "The ultimate ass."

Draft saved Draft deleted