1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you count your change?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I use a debit card all the time, so I never get cash any more. When I get change, I do count it, and then put it in a special drawer where I keep my change. I use it only for vending machines.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I always try to keep 99 cents in my pocket – two quarters, three dimes, three nickels and four pennies. Just a habit.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Timely thread. I've been shorted on change a lot lately and, of course, fucked at the drive-thru.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Quarters say, in big letters below Washington's head, QUARTER DOLLAR. Nickels, on the back below Monticello, say FIVE CENTS. Pennies, on the back, say ONE CENT.

The dime is the only one that doesn't say/spell out how much a dime is worth.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My grandpa was like that. He always had change in his pocket, no matter if he was going to church or wherever. I used to do that, but now I keep my change in a cup holder in my car.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Fortunately for me most cashiers know what I'm doing when I do that. The ones that give me a strange look when I give them the money understand when the register shows how much change I'm getting back.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

This exact scenario happened to me at a convenience store last year for one simple reason: the guy was gabbing away with his friend the whole time the transaction occurred. My business was an afterthought. I called him on it, and he actually challenged me back. You're fucking kidding, right? All I had to say was, "Which one of us was paying attention, and which one of us wasn't?" Unbelievable. I was so pissed.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I never count my change when I'm sitting at the table.

There will be time for counting later.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only person who did this.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yes. Always have. Always will. Especially now that I work for a bank.

I'm just as quick to return money when I've been given too much change as I am to alert the cashier if I've gotten too little change.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I was when I was working as a Wally World cashier in 2003. And I can still do it, so a lot of times when the cashier is confused, I count it back for them while they're putting it in my hand. (Give me the quarter...Ok, 50, now another quarter....75, another quarter....that's six, now a one...seven, another one....eight....nine.....ten. Yeah, that's it).

The only time I got messed up was when someone handed me $20.05 for a purchase of $18.02. I know how to do it now, but when I was first doing it, odd numbers like that threw me for a loop.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I think he meant to say that his wife noted that U.S. coins don't have the value in numbers on them. There's no 25 on the quarter, for example.

The U.S should dump the paper $1 bill and adopt $1 and $2 coins as Canada did. I kinda liked having $6 in my hand represented by four coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted