1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you correct people during normal conversations?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Oct 25, 2017.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Uh that was Steve Sax, not Lopes buddy. And Mickey Hatcher, not the Penguin.

BTW, I rarely correct people because it usually comes off as you're a know-it-all.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I don't correct them, I just look at them with dead eyes and a slightly open mouth until they slowly turn away and walk off.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I've tried to get better about not correcting people when it doesn't matter.
    Sometimes my wife's family says stuff that's just horribly incorrect and I'll casually jump in. My wife's cousin says this makes me "argumentative."

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't correct people. I just go home and scream into my pillow every night.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This conversation should be reframed:
    How do you manage your belief that most people are but you are not?

6. I used to do it but I don't now. Just not worth it. Don't want to be known as "that guy" lol

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A woman sitting beside me at the theater twice said Woody Harrelson was playing Lyndon Bird Johnson in the new LBJ movie. I didn't know her and wasn't involved in the conversation, so I said nothing. Don't know if I would have corrected her if I knew her and was talking with her. She seemed like a dimwit so if I would probably be correcting her a lot if I knew her.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I have experiences in this realm often.

My wife’s family is very successful in the business they run. This has led my in-laws and my brother-in-law—in my theory—to be somewhat overconfident when it comes to conversations about things they don’t know that well.

Most of the time I just keep it to myself when one of them goes off on a completely false set of facts, but sometimes I can’t take it.

Can’t tell you how many times they’ve dug their heels in, though, especially about the intricacies of sports or current events, which is kinda my specialty.

I usually try to stay calm and explain, but I’ve said something close to, “Just trust me. That’s not how it works” more times than I can count.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Damn, I miss all the talks I had with my dad and correcting him about sports facts or malaprops. Like when that "Copernicus" guy first took a knee during the anthem.

For non-family though, eh, I leave it alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted