1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you correct people during normal conversations?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Oct 25, 2017.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was talking to a co-worker I don't see frequently about the World Series and he had some facts wrong about when the Dodgers moved to LA and Dodger Stadium, but I didn't correct him because it didn't matter for the conversation we were having.

But another time, I was talking to a guy at a party who was trying to be a know-it-all about the team and was mixing up years and facts and I corrected him after he tried saying I was wrong about a game I attended.

My wife will sometimes mix up facts in telling a story, such as combining events from two vacations into the same trip, but I will only correct her if it would clear confusion to the listener.

So, do you correct others during the course of a normal conversation or let it go?

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

FTFY

And I would like to correct your thread title. It irritates me.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Depends on how much I like them. Also, you gotta read the room. Do others know they're in error? Does it make them look bad? If a loved one is making a mistake and it makes them look bad, I might politely correct them. For the most part, no. Ya can easily come off looking like a know it all. Still, there are few better joys in life than denuding some jagoff who has his facts mixed up.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What's a normal conversation?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

But enough about my brother-in-law ...

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I correct written English, not spoken English ... but I am a son of a bitch when it comes to correcting written English.

Ah, one exception ... I enjoy telling my daughter's boyfriend he's full of shit when he's pontificating about something.

Rhody31 likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As one gets older, more conversations are about the past. Trying to create an accurate picture often involves mutual corrections, as each person has a slightly different recollection of events. Some such conversations are like 90 percent corrections.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I find it prudent given the sheer volume of egregiously wrong information out there.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I would never be able to hold a normal conversation if I spent the entire time correcting everyone.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This is not a trivial point ...

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I actually told a guy at a dinner party that I really enjoyed talking with him because he knows what he's talking about. I told him that most of the time, when guys find out I was a sportswriter, they always want to talk about sports and they don't know their ass. MTM, I don't usually correct them, unless it is imperative to the conversation. I just nod and say "OK."

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention the guy who saw me wearing a Dodgers tie yesterday who said he remembers the the last time the Dodgers won in 1988 with Garvey, Lopes, Russell and Cey. Since we were in the restroom at a courthouse and I didn't know if he was a defendant or a juror, I simply agreed instead of telling him none of them were still there in 88.

Draft saved Draft deleted