1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you celebrate your birthday?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 9, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't. Not because I'm depressed about aging, being one step closer to the sweet release of death, etc. I just don't see the point. But everyone around me insists on celebrating it despite my repeatedly stated wish that they shouldn't. Thankfully, this year a celebration is impossible because I'll be getting on a plane by myself at the butt-crack of dawn to skip town for a week.

The older I get and the more this celebration happens against my wishes, I'm starting to think I'm the only one who feels that way.

What say you?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Since I live 6 hours away from my family and have no one real close to me here, I don't.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I totally do.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I try to make it a month-long celebration.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

nope. (only recent exception was turning 50).

no. 5-4 is on monday. just another day 'round here; middle son's b'day was tuesday (he turned 18 on june 7th) and we make this time of year all 'bout him. 'father's day' is more a 'celebration than my b'day.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i think everyone should celebrate my birthday

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Aw... Poor you...

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd call it a celebration, but I do try to have that day off of work and go eat somewhere nice. I make sure to tell anyone who asks not to send presents, though, as the distance and timing make it too much of a hassle.

Even though I'm pretty antisocial, I think having people want to be with you on your birthday isn't all bad. Better that they want to spend time with you than not, right?

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I have not been a big believer in celebrating my birthday for the reason Creosote listed. I'm well into my 30s now. I don't see the point. Temporal coincidence. The equivalent of a car hitting a 10,000-mile marker. Not a big deal. I shy away from being the center of attention; I'm happiest being a face in a crowd of my friends. I don't tell people my birthday, they don't ask, and we all drink. It's all good.

This year, to stem even the hint of a birthday party, I came up with a counterparty. Friend of mine noted that because he grew up in a conservative Christian family, he didn't celebrate his 21st birthday (well, he did, but with no alcohol so it doesn't count). So another friend and I started working on a 21st birthday party for this guy, who's 35 and has a birthday in like November. Came up with a signature shot (Three Olives Dude Vodka with SoCo), built a playlist based on the sounds of the season (1997 alternative) and set up the requisite Facebook page. Lot of enthusiasm among my friends, a wacky motif and a lot of booze. The perfect plan, I thought.

Until I opened the door to his apartment on the night of the party. That's when I discovered that while the friend and I were working on this 21st birthday party, said friend was working with everyone else on the actual party -- a surprise 37th birthday party for me. I was touched, and more than a little stunned. Never saw it coming. Everyone fooled me -- including me, it turned out, by volunteering a cover that guaranteed I wouldn't be suspicious. Then everyone got drunk. Just as God ordained it.

So I have really good friends and it was a really sweet thing to do. I hope they don't do it again, though. I really DO like being a face in a crowd of friends!

And Three Olives Dude Vodka is awful. I didn't see that coming, either:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I always get more charged up about the birthdays of the rest in my family that my own.

And my mom is one of those folks who does turn it into a week long series of events annually. She's a professional at it.

Not big on my own birthday. Did do a trip to Vegas for my 40th.

Much prefer to celebrate Steak & BJ day....

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Our kids are young-ish, so birthdays still entail decorations, cake and candles. If the kids were grown, it would probably just be dinner out.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've had enough birthdays that I'm delighted to see the next one.

I'm content to take the day off and have a few drinks. Perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted