1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would wager that a large percentage of the guys who successfully fend off a home invasion are drug dealers.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They absolutely get reported. I can tell you it's a lead story in my town every time it happens.

It just hardly ever happens.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

come on, inky. if your kid falls off the swing, she gets a boo-boo.

and that's coming from a guy who owns four guns. let's be on the ups with this.

4. SharpTusk

SharpTusk Member

I know that there are tons of whys and why nots for a Taser Cane. But it might split the difference between a gun and useless pepper spray.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I am not Mr. Open Carry by any means, but I can attest that they are NOT always reported. I knew a couple that killed an intruder, so I kept checking the local papers and TV stations -- no one ever reported it. I don't know if it's to protect the shooter or what, but this stuff can go under the radar in a way you wouldn't expect for gun deaths.

I knew a man who was recently murdered, and while all news outlets covered it during the initial 24-hour cycle, there was zero follow-up. Crime news moves QUICK and so stuff just gets missed sometimes.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Unless they can hook me up with those guns the cops collect for teddy bears and basketball tickets in the big cities, I'm not making enough to afford one that isn't made by Nerf.

My corner of the world is very pro-gun (even the Democrats favor gun rights here), but echoing other sentiments, I've never felt I'd be capable enough to handle one effectively in the very rare instance (violent crime is exceedingly rare here) I'd ever have to use one. I'd probably just shoot myself in the leg, Plaxico-style.

Then again, an employee I had a hand in firing was just chilling with the pressmen downstairs while I was finishing the pages last Friday and it didn't seem like a big deal to anyone. Granted, this guy was more of a stoner than a psychopath, but it wasn't exactly comfortable.

Draft saved Draft deleted