1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We're talking national, cultural issues. Individual anecdotes, even personal ones, shouldn't carry a lot of weight.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Growing up in the South means you are more likely to die due to firearms.

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/ficap/resourcebook/Final%20Resource%20Book%20Updated%202009%20Section%201.pdf

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not everybody's parents and grandparents are as thorough in how they educate their children.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You used your Southern upbringing as a reason why you didn't think to play with guns. Now you're backtracking and saying it was your parents and grandparents who taught you firearms safety. Obviously, the Southern tradition seems to be teaching kids that it's OK to fool around with guns.

5. Inky_Wretch

Key words in that sentence were "around guns and hunters."

I was lucky. The adults in my life were responsible gun owners. They taught me well. I've already begun teaching my 3-year-old the same lessons - if you see one of these get Daddy or Mommy immediately, don't touch it - even though all my firearms are in a locked gun safe in a locked closet.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

this

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Any parent who owns and uses firearms for hunting, sport shooting or defense should instruct their children from an early age onward about firearm safety and potential dangers.

I don't worry a lick about my kids when it comes to firearms. They shoot, know the ramifications and also know not to mess around with them if I have one in my garage, vehicle or office. I'm more concerned about their stupid friends, which is why my firearms are secured and I've talked with them before about firearms safety.

It's pointless for the back-and-forth on this, too. Ace and others like him have their views, Inky and I and other gun owners have ours. Neither's going to budge.

8. RickStain

Not expecting you to budge. But it's the illusion of control. The idea that everyone whose kid ever got hurt in a gun accident somehow must have done something differently than what you do.

It's a risk. There's a non-zero chance that your child will die at the hands of that gun. But if you feel that the risk is worth it, that's your business. And I don't mean that in a callous way. Guns are tools, and they serve a lot of useful purposes. There's a non-zero chance that my son will die in a car accident, but I'm not giving up highway driving.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not afraid of guns. I have taken my kids to the shooting range several times.

I just think a handgun is a poor bet for self-protection for most people and that if you read newspapers you'd find stories where people are "accidentally" shot by guns outnumber the times where guns fend off would-be rapists and murderers by about 100-1.

I don't think there is any question about that. Is there?

10. Inky_Wretch

My daughter has a greater chance of being injured falling off the swing set in the backyard than at the hands of my firearms. As I said, we exercise extreme caution when it comes to how and where they are stored.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a firearm than a lamp in my home or a flashlight under the seat of my vehicle, if I don't have one in my pocket.

Most people who own firearms don't practice enough and definitely don't practice under duress like when the adrenaline's pumping. But if you're going to own firearms for whatever reason, it should be important enough to learn everything you can about them, be proficient with them and safely store them.

So it's easy to say that gun owners should practice more frequently. But it's true because they should.

As for the 'accidental' shootings, sure we read and hear more about those. They're splashy news. I'd like to hear and read more about the law-abiding gun owners who successfully defend themselves, family and home with firearms, too. Those don't get reported enough and typically are "Man survives home invasion" or "Woman fends off would-be rapist" without details of their defense.

12. RickStain

Really? I feel like those are reported pretty heavily.

Draft saved Draft deleted