1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you call a coach "Coach"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 10, 2008.

1. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

You'll never go wrong with sir or ma'am.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He gets a snicker out of calling you "Gay Times."

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

When you have a name like "Dusty," you don't need another nickname.

4. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I'm older than almost all the h.s. coaches I encounter, so it's first names after the first intro, whether the kids are present or not...funny thing is, I don't call my wife or kids by their first names (no, I don't call them "coach")

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I call all coaches coach, then I don't have to remember their names.

That sounds terrible, but when I was still writing preps gamers and features I never stayed at a job long enough to learn all the different coaches' names.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I completely agree. But there are a few out there who are so programmed that it's almost the only thing they respond to.

I hate when members of the media do it, but I have done it a few times when screaming the guy's name doesn't get his attention.

7. Mizzougrad96

I definitely don't see it as a "respect" issue.

Of all of the coaches I've dealt with during my career, I have called all but a handful by their first names. The first time I interviewed Bob Knight, I was about 23 and when I called him "Mr. Knight" he smiled at me and patted me on my head.

I never think about it beforehand, but there are certain coaches and old-time players who I just by instinct call them Mr.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sort of like when I call all my friends "man."

Coaches call each other "coach." Some of them will call you "coach." (Joe Kines was/is famous for this). Sometimes you get sucked into that.

Whatever. Do what you want. It's no big deal either way.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think if they are old enough to have been your coach, it has a lot to do with you calling them by their first name or by coach or Mr.

10. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

just remember this....it's not really about the sports or games that are being played. it's not about the men or women who coach the players and it's not about the players who are taking part. it's certainly not about the fans or the administrators. rather it's about the men and women who cover them....!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Mizzougrad96

Age is a factor, but I think it's more age + legendary status. Phil Jackson and Bill Belichick were both by their first names, but Bob Knight, Dean Smith, Joe Paterno, John Wooden, Bobby Bowden were all Mr.

Bowden was the only one of those who told me to call him by his first name.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You called John Wooden Mr. Wooden?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted