1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you call a coach "Coach"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 10, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Thank you, coach.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Over the last three-plus years -- at every stop I've made -- I've probably ended 1,000 or so interviews with, "Thanks, coach. That's all I need" right before I stuck out my paw as a sign of gratitude and respect.

I don't even think about it because it's not worth more thought than the last wipe in the bathroom. Actually, probably less because it's not going to irritate you if you end one too soon -- or however you want to fill out that analogy.

3. This thread scares me.

You guys really call grown men "coach?"

That's truly pitiful.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm OK with that.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

as ijag noted on page 1 of this thread, i'm very much anti-"coach." if you're covering high schools in a small town, no prob. you're probably talking to those coaches 1-on-1. whatever.

but on the college or pro level in presser situations? sorry, i've always found it cringeworthy. as noted by others already, these men or women are not your "coach." they have names. don't want to call them by their first name? that's ridiculous, imo.

how do you address major league baseball "managers." you don't call them "coach," right? what, do address joe torre as "skip?" gimme a break.

i've never, ever heard a coach or manager object to being called by his or her first name. speak to them respectfully and you'll be treated respectfully. just as you would with any adult in life.

if someone insists on calling, say, eric mangini or bill belichick "coach" in a presser, so be it. to each his own. everyone is free to decide on their own what they're most comfortable doing.

by the same token, i reserve the right to think of that media-type as a foof. if that makes me too judgmental, well, i guess i can deal with that.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what up, knight?

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm horrible with names. Unless I'm covering you on a regularly, you're "coach" to me.

Then again, I'm a lowly prep guy. I certainly wouldn't call Mike Tomlin "coach" if I ever made it to his Tuesday presser.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Agree on the press conference or group interview thing. You do risk sounding like a toadie, unless the guy in question is John Wooden or someone as old.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

coach, coach, oh coach, can i ask the next question ... puh-lease?

[​IMG]

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Seconded.

And I also agree with Shockey on the college/pro thing. This is more about prep coaches, and more about smaller towns than major metros. I'd never think of addressing a college/pro coach as "Coach." But a high school coach? No big deal, in a lot of places.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm not calling anyone by their first name unless I know them. Call the guy who coaches Duke basketball Mike at a presser? Seems to be a little too familiar for where I am. If I'm the 30-year Duke beater, sure. As Farty McFringewriter? Probably not.

I like how some people think they're ceding the Louisiana Purchase for 23 beads if they call someone Coach or Mayor Johnson or Senator Suckbutt. Hell, I'm surprised some people don't insist they be called Journalist Smith.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fair point, shockey. I was thinking in my experiences, which were largely prep-based. When I covered the rare college event, I would never actually lead with an intro during a presser, I'd just ask the question.

You're right, in a presser at a pro or D1 college level, that would strike me differently. I was thinking in terms of preps or small colleges, when there would be more interaction.

*EDIT* buckweaver beat me to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted