1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you call a coach "Coach"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I cover the education beat and I call the principals by their first names. The same goes for the superintendent. I'm not called Mister and don't expect anyone to do so.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

we are equal to those we cover, and those we cover should know as much.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Calling someone "Mr." or "Coach" doesn't mean you think they are better than you. Many of the high schools I covered, if you call and ask for "Jimmy," nobody knows who the fuck you're talking about.

Coaches call EACH OTHER coach. Hell, I've had coaches call ME coach. It's really just part of the culture.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

-- I tend to call these guys "Coach" because they like to be called coach. Do it almost with "air quotes" in my voice and it feels just fine. Doesn't mean I'm subjugating or prostrating myself to them, but I remember one old guy who told a group of friends, "I like that people will always call me `Coach.' " So sh--, why the hell not? Don't cost nothin'.

-- These days, I'm more torn by this issue: When writing a cover letter to a potential employer who might be about my age or, hell, even younger, do I go with "Mr. (So-and-So)," even if I know the guy's name (but have never met him)? If I were walking up to him to interview him, I'd introduce myself and use his first name. Should it be any different if I'm asking him for a job rather than asking him a question for a story?

(I believe my second point, by the way, is far more pertinent and urgent for most of us than whether to call guys with whistles and clipboards by their job title.)

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Absolutely right on that. I've often wondered the same thing.

I notice that if I do call a guy Mr. Smith in my letter, he almost never calls me "Mr. Bobcat" in his reply. Just "Bob."

You are right. I find it interesting that if I address a sports editor as Mr. Smith in my cover letter, he has no problem calling me "Bob" in his reply. Interesting.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

for additional fun with the title, when I worked in a call center doing tech support several years ago, the supervisors were "coaches"

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

at my shop ... in my neck of the woods, we all call each other coach at work. even the news folks.

it's just how we roll.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hey, coach...when you gonna put me in the game? I can play, coach. I swear.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Even if I have a personal relationship with the coach, I still call them Coach Whatshisname when I'm on the job. Heck, there are times away from the job when I'll call someone Coach Whatshisname.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

quit making light of a serious discussion, coach.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sorry, coach. It won't happen again. I'm ashamed and embarrassed, coach.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

carry on, coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted