1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you call a coach "Coach"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 10, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This thread ended for me on Reply #3.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't have a problem with it. I don't have a problem if you don't.

When I was a younger reporter, fresh out of college and still more or less a kid, I used "Coach" all the time. I was brought up never to address people older than me by their first names ... It was Mr., Mrs., Miss. "Coach" is just an extension of that.

Now that I'm older, and have a beat in which I work with the coach on a one-on-one basis, we're on a first-name basis. So I don't feel compelled to call him "Coach."

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am with Mikey.
    I find myself calling every coach older than me, which is just about all of them, coach.

4. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I really don't think it matters in most situations, but if I'm calling a coach at his/her house and someone other than he/she answers, I'll ask for "coach whatshis/hernuts," just so it's established up front that it's a professional call, not some family member or friend calling to chat.

If I'm talking to someone for the first time, I think I generally start out with "coach." After a working relationship has been established, I'll switch to first-name basis.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've often called a coach both by his name and "coach" in the same conversation.

I have one coach who calls me by my paper's name.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Never. I don't expect to be called by my profession. I don't call anyone by theirs.

It's always first-name with me, regardless of whether I've met the person or not or thousands of people know of the person or not.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Ha! That happened to me a couple times at my last gig. Always cracked me up, because the coach that did it knew the guy reporters' names - no matter the paper - but couldn't remember the one chick's name.

Of course, another coach (!) called me "reporter lady" which led to a couple of his players (a girls softball team) teasingly calling me that the rest of the season.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Dusty Baker always said he didn't want to be called Skip because: "it's what I do, not who I am."

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I would love to see Dusty skip.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

So no "Mr. President" for you if you're covering the White House, eh?

Would you just call him "Barry?"

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, every freakin' high school football coach is just as important as the president of the united states?

that's a little sick.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Uh, of course not.

I'm just sayin' ... Call people what they're used to being called. "I don't call people by their profession" shouldn't be a hard and fast rule.

It's not about "worshipping" them ... It's like calling someone mister. If I worked the education beat, and had to call a principal, I'd probably ask for "Mr. Jones" instead of "Pete."

Doesn't mean I want to jerk his gherkin.

Draft saved Draft deleted