1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you call a coach "Coach"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 10, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just got into an argument with a media pal of mine.

He argues that he calls coaches "coach" because it's a sign of respect and they deserve it. I haven't called a coach "Coach" since I was in college. I argue that if you call someone "coach" you are setting yourself up as if you are in a subordinate position to him. Maybe it's silly, but I feel like calling the coach by his name makes you equals, which is the basis of a solid working relationship. He's got a job to do and you've got a job to do and each of you should look out for yourselves.

I think you show respect to a coach by how you treat him, not by bowing down before him and kissing his butt. I understand that calling him "coach" doesn't quite equate to kissing his butt, but it's a subtle way of establishing -- in his mind anyway -- that he's above you on the pecking order.

Thoughts?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How much trouble can you get into using the words sir, ma'am, and coach?

How much trouble can you get into if you do not use them?

I would say, a high school coach in front of his or her players should always be coach.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Eh ... I've wondered about it a few times and, typically, I try not to call coaches "coach," but sometimes -- when it's the first or second time I'm dealing with them and I can't remember their name, I'll resort to "coach."

A lot of kids I know, at least in my area, don't call their coaches "coach" though, so it sounds silly if I do and they don't.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll post this here before shockey comes on and obliterates me...I don't get how "coach" is a term of respect or putting someone above you on the scale.

There's nothing "respectful" about coach. It's a job title. Same as if he called me "reporter" or something. Doesn't put me above him either.

I used it if I didn't know the guy that well. If a prep team I was covering was on the road, the other coach was "coach" because I'd feel odd if someone I didn't know and had never met called me by my first name. Weird.

Coach is a catchall word. It's not respect. It's a damn word.

5. deadliner

deadliner Member

I've called a coach "coach." I don't think it's that big a deal. Hopefully, my writing and reporting gave me the respect I deserved. (Maybe none!) But I can see why some reporters don't want to do it.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

If he's not your coach, as in he's not teaching you the game or giving you a scholarship, then don't refer to him as such.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Do it. Don't do it. Whatever. Not a big issue either way. It does come in handy if you blank on their name, though :)

8. never do this

ever

people have names for a reason

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I think either way is good.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I call coaches "coach" and I call everyone else "sportsfan."

I am just bad with names.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Exactly. A good reason to use the word. If you're not sure, "coach" works just fine.

Sometimes, I use it out of respect - those who have been respectful to me, without pretense, will get every benefit of the doubt. Some aren't very respectful and I adjust accordingly. Others don't mind first names ... it comes with familiarity of your beat and job.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i only call someone coach when i feel as though they deserve a really solid verbal fellating.

people in the business call me tom. i refer to them as mike, bill or sue.

Draft saved Draft deleted