1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you blog?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Just wondering, especially from some of the more seasoned writers on here, whether or not you keep up with a personal blog. Not a "here are my feelings" or blog for work, but just regularly post to one you've created on your own.

I remember J-School teachers saying to make sure you have one, but then pros would sometime advise the opposite in case a potential employer didn't like something you said.

Also wondering because I wouldn't mind just looking at a few every now and then.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nope. Locked down my personal Twitter and Facebook accounts because higher-ups snoop at my company.

3. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

I've had one for some time - writing mostly about hockey - but there are times where I just don't want to deal with it.

It's been good because it forced me to learn HTML and the tech side, but bad because I don't keep up with it like I should.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The (linked below) Sports Writing and Editing blog has been quiet for some time.

Between freelancing and other things, I just don't have the time to give it the attention it deserves. It occurs to me I could just put a random thought there every day, but I just don't think about it.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have a Nick Punto blog, but I haven't updated it much (if at all) in the past six months. Once he signs somewhere and begins his Tour of Reckoning, I will fire it back up.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

rumor is the Nats want him. Seriously, So I'll blog about that, too, but likely not in the way you would.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OMG PLEASE LET THAT HAPPEN.

My list of preferred teams:
    1. Atlanta
    2. Cincinnati
    3. Any NL team
    4. Minnesota
    5. Any AL West team
    6. Cleveland
    7. Any other AL team

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A Nick Punto blog? I'm intrigued.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Used to. Haven't done it in a while. Maybe should start uop again.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Never Twittered, never Facebooked, never have, and never will.

Although I may Twitter soon. Seems harmless enough as long as you remember to whom you're tweeting.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I blog, though it's not connected to my work and probably not anything I'd want to show a prospective employer. There's more link sharing and opinion spouting than actual journalism.

I'm warming to the idea of Twitter -- it's just a question of Internet access being reliable enough to check it frequently.

Draft saved Draft deleted