1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in God

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, May 10, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I mean no insult by this, but the line "I refuse to believe that there is some sort of almighty force that has any sort of control over me or my life," makes you sound a little like Han Solo.

That being said, your belief (or refusal) is just as valid as those who are strident in their faith in God. Kudos to you.

2. rallen13

rallen13 Member

I, for one, DO believe in God and am a Christian. However, I DO also believe that there is a plce in God's plan for others, the Jews, for instance. I don't believe that a just and fair God cuts anyone out unless they are totally non-believers in Him in some way or the other. I have, and still do, attend services at places of worship other than my own church (Episcopal) where I have been an active member for thirty continuous years. I have attended mosque with two of my students, I go to synagogue 3-4 times a year, and frequent the Jewish Community Center at least every Hannukah. I have enjoyed the passover seder (dinner) at several friends houses. My mother is Catholic, and one of my closest friends is a die-hard, fundamentalist Baptist. And I feel truly confident that he, my mother, and my Jewish friends have earned a welcome spot in what the next life has to offer. That view brings me into conflict with my friend and others of the more fundamentalist bent. But I am comfortable with my belief, and if I am wrong with believing in, and praying for the best for others, at least I will die happy and at peace with myself. And I don't believe that these kinds of feelings evolve from swamp gas. There HAS to be something greater that has brought this all about. I would call it God.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Putting aside burts and groats for a moment ...
    The idea that one must investigate every religion in order to establish nonbelief in god is absurd.
    Such an exhaustive education, while probably very interesting, would be a full-time occupation. The job market would be flooded with wannabe Joseph Campbells and James Frazers.
    One could argue next that reading about a religion is not enough in the way of research. Afterall, much of religion is beyond dogma and doctrine. It's experiential.
    Afterall, is reading about voodoo and deciding you don't believe in it really adequate? Voodoo is about ecstasy. It's experiential, so one would actually have to practice it.
    Of course, one can't get an accurate experience of the religion unless one commits to it, so one would have to discard skepticism as part of the research, adopting belief and committing to the experience to give it an honest effort.
    The same would be true for every religion, along your line of reasoning, Alma.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination.
    My atheism is not an attempt to disprove the existence of god in an effort to free the masses from their beliefs.
    For me, all that is required is that I have considered the issue to my satisfaction.

Here's an analogy:
    I meet a person, and that person tells me there is a big purple chicken in the sky. This person is very comforted by the fact that there is a big purple chicken in the sky. It makes the person happy, gives that person a sense of fulfillment. Perhaps I even envy that person's happiness and sense of fulfillment. However, I see no evidence that the there is a big purple chicken in the sky. I find the belief absurd and do not hold it to be true.
    Then I meet a person who thinks there is a big green frog in the sky. This person also derives happiness and fulfillment from this belief.
    In my journeys, I encounter many people. Many believe there is a big purple chicken in the sky. Many believe there is a big green frog in the sky. Potentially there are many, many more people who believe there's an albino alligator in the sky or a leprous wombat in the sky.
    I do not feel compelled to track down every one of 6 billion people in the world to learn what strange thing they believe lives in the sky.
    I'm quite content to look up and see what I see, which is just the sky.

4. Three fundamental truths about organized religion:

Muslims do not recognize Judaism.
    Jews do not recognize Christianity.
    Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I completely agree that's difficult and maybe even absurd. I'm simply holding atheism to a higher standard than your own satisfaction. Just as anyone does (and should) hold people of faith to the true teachings of their faith, and not just what feel like believing/doing in the name of their god.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

weak comeback alma.

in fact, i believe with all my heart and soul there's a mountain-sized shaft of gold at the center of the earth.

here's a shovel and a pick. prove me wrong.

i'm holding your disbelieving ass to a higher standard.

give me a break.

8. duckncover

duckncover Member

The burden of proof is on ATHEiSTS? Wow, that is some wierd thinking. The believers in this world have caused thousands of years of war and hatred based on nothing more than "my faith is better than your faith."

Nay, I say it's YOU who should have something to prove. Where is this god you speak of? And why should I listen to someone who believes there's a man in the sky running things on Earth? Why not just believe in Santa Claus, too, while you're at it?

Me? I'm happy to explore and test the universe using scientific methods, rather than just assuming there's a god back there pulling strings.

One thing I am certain of, humans will never truly know if a god exists. But to just assume one does is small-minded and lazy.

9. [​IMG]

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

What about Mao Tse Tung and Stalin?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Not reading through 13 pages, but has anyone mentioned Pascal's Bet?

Draft saved Draft deleted