1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe In Ghosts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

I'm in. why the hell not? sure there are ghosts.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I had this...experience...when I first moved into my current apartment. I was about half asleep this one night, cat by my head when I felt something MOVE at the foot of my bed and then I heard a thud, like something had fallen off the bed onto the floor.

I know I was dreaming it because I could tell the cat had heard it too. I flip on the bedside light and look down at the foot of the bed. Nothing there. I look over the edge to see what could have fallen off the bed (even though I know that nothing was on the foot of the bed when I laid down) and there was NOTHING down there that could have made a noise. I grabbed a flashlight and looked under my bed and there was nothing under there.

Freaking out doesn't even begin to describe the aftermath. I nearly slept with the light on. There really is something to be said about having roommates when things go bump in the...morning.

3. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Two stories about a possible ghost in my house -- both within the past week.

About a year and a half ago, I moved in with a friend of mine and his fiancee. Before I moved in, my friend warned me about a ghost in the house, but he said all it likes to do is turn on the stereo in the dinining room, usually about 10:30 in the morining.

I'm a night owl and usually am not up until after noon, so I had not experienced this phenomenon.

About a week ago, I was home alone, and around 9 p.m. I went downstairs to let the dogs out. The stereo, as usual, was turned off. A couple hours later, I went downstairs again to get something to drink, and the stereo was on. I repeat, I was the only one in the house.

A couple days later, me and three of my friends were in the dining room playing poker. We were the only ones in the house. Out of nowhere, the celing fan turns on and starts spinning. None of us had gotten out of our chairs, so obviously none of us turned it on. Hell, I spend so little time in the dinning room that even I don't know where the switch to turn it on is, let alone any of my three guests.

When my roommates get home, I ask them if the ghost has ever turned on the celing fan in the dinning room. My friend's fiance looks at me bug-eyed and says, "The celing fan works!?" Obviously, she had tried to use it before to no avail.

Turns out, there's no switch for the fan. When the light is on this room, you have to pull the chain on the thing to get it churning. And NO ONE at the table pulled that chain.

Don't believe in ghosts? Give me a better explanation.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am in the same camp. I also believe in life on other planets, mainly due to the fact that it would be rather arrogant to think we are it.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

No. But I believe in love...and that that bastard Ray Parker Jr. stole my song for "Ghostbusters."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Colton

Colton Active Member

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

When I was a child, my mother's family still had several old family homes. One is haunted.

Growing up with ghosts makes them a given, not something you have to come to a conclusion about. It's like being asked whether you believe in stairs.

10. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

Maybe more religious than ghostly, but since this is Passover, here goes. A few years ago I attended the Seder (Passover dinner) at a friend's house. One of the traditions is to leave a door ajar and pour a symbolic cup of wine for Elijah. The cup was filled in front of us all and placed on a breakfront by the table, in plain view. At the end of the meal, the cup was empty. No one could have touched it without all the others seeing it happen. Also, when we prepared to leave, the door was closed and locked. Now, anyone could have closed the door since it was down the hall toward the bathroom, but the cup? No way. I gotta believe, at least on this one.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes

I believe we move on someplace after death and we have the ability to look upon this world if we choose.

If that defines a ghost, then yes.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm with Ricky Gervais who wants to know why there are no caveman ghosts. People always report ghosts in Victorian garb so does that mean ghosts only started in 1830 or so?

Draft saved Draft deleted