1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Applaud On Senior Day?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I recently covered a college basketball game at which the home team (the team I cover) honored its two graduating players. It was a somewhat big production. Flowers for their moms, a small speech by the head coach, photo at center court.

These are the first two players I've covered from freshmen to seniors. But I didn't applaud. Should I have? I don't think so.

I mean, they're both good. And both good quotes. And both good sports whenever I wrote critically of them. But, to me, they were just the subjects I've covered for four years.

I've been wondering for weeks if I should have applauded. I was getting weird looks from fans and some school staff when I was just sitting there watching.

Would have applauded? Do you? Have you?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No. I don't usually applaud for anything at games. The only exception is a live Star-Spangled Banner, and that's only if the person singing is close, in proximity, to me.

3. jps

jps Active Member

nope. you're invisible, pete. just there to watch/report.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And if one of them bursts into flames, will you just stand there and watch them burn up?

I think you did right to avoid clapping, but it's not like it would be some mortal sin if you did.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't clap. Do you clap when somebody hits a big shot? Or just for career accomplishments?

Smile slightly, nod, then write about how other people applauded.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I always applaud someone singing the national anthem.
    At the last shop I worked at, a local girl played JV and varsity and in between, sang an anthem that nearly brought tears to my eyes. Did a notebook piece on her; great kid.

I think the bigger applause question is when someone gets hurt, then gets up. I usually don't applaud because I'm caught up in stats or my PxP. What's the consensus on that?

7. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

No, don't applaud. Only time I ever applaud at an event I'm covering is for the National Anthem. I view that as my moment to be human and American, dang it. Rest of the night, I'm working.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

YOU ONLY APPLAUD US WHEN WE SING!!!!

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

No. Although one time I did regret not doing so. I think one of the kids being honored had cancer or was in a car wreck or something. Pretty sad shit, but at the time I was really big on extreme journalistic integrity.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm a little confused here Pete.

How does this senior day BS matter compared to whether you have a job?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/67151/

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't like my own answer, but no applause. Like jps said, Pete, you're the invisible fly on the wall.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted