1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we still like sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I've stopped beign a casual fan. But my allegiance to "my team" is as strong as it ever was.

Granted, I'm still very new to the business. It all may change in a few years.

2. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

That's a good point. I've found myself so numb to pretty much anything that happens w/ my favorite pro/college teams that I have to force out cheers. Unfortunate side effect of the job, I guess.

3. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

I still love certain sports, but I don't view sports figures the way I did before getting into this biz. I know that well-known coaches and athletes are imperfect, pro sports is a nasty business, and that college sports aren't as greasy as some people think, but it's not laced with wholesome well-rounded people I'd be shocked to learn have problemss in their lives.

By putting in so many hours on the job (I cover several high profile teams) I often don't have time to watch games that don't directly pertain to my job, and quite hoenstly, I'm not as interested in other games and sports as I used to be. I need time away from sports.

I follow the NFL from a distance, hate the NBA, don't care much for hockey, and my love affair with baseball has taken many hits, no pun intended. Baseball has cheated us, therefore I've lost interest.

That's my two cents, for whateverit's worth.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I still have a passion for sports. I DVR way too many college and NFL games, and I'm going to do the same with college basketball soon. But it seems like I can handle Steelers and KU losses better than friends who are not in the business. I don't think it means I care any less, I would like to believe that means I'm more realistic about some things than they are.

Draft saved Draft deleted