1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we really need another web browser?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Just downloaded Google Chrome. I've been needing another tabbed browser since I downloaded Firefox 3 and my four-year computer won't run it (and then I tried to go back to 2.0.16 or whatever and it wouldn't install, so I couldn't even open Firefox anymore). Best feature: when I installed it, it automatically transferred all of my bookmarks and passwords from Firefox into the new browser. Now that's service. It was the only thing that was keeping Firefox on my computer in the first place - I had three years' worth of passwords saved on that browser and I didn't want to A-lose them all or B-have to go through and write them all down.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I downloaded it the other night.

I've only used Explorer (well, I used Nestcape when I first started in the mid 90's).

Like it a lot. It's clean, it's simple, it's uncluttered.

It's also a helluva lot faster than Explorer

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

About the only thing I don't like about Chrome is that there is no ad blocker.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No, we don't need another web browser (says I, who hasn't found anything better than IE6).

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dude ... seriously, try Firefox.

6. ondeadline

The more I use Chrome, the more I like it. It's definitely faster than Firefox and Flock.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

It needs an ad blocker but damn, I'm using it right now and it's incredibly fast, both on page loads and initial startup. Impressive.

8. Can't he get her a job?

9. ondeadline

The main beef I had with Chrome -- no ad blocker -- has been solved:

http://lifehacker.com/5046529/how-to-block-ads-in-google-chrome

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I've got to hack a program to make it work the way I want? Oh well, might as well check it out. It works for you?

11. ondeadline

That ad blocker works, yes.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

"She," actually.

Draft saved Draft deleted