1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we really need another web browser?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 2, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I ask that question as Google prepares to unveil the beta version (Windows only as yet, Mac and Linux versions coming soon) of Google Chrome.

http://kara.allthingsd.com/20080901/the-entire-google-chrome-blog-announcement/

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html

And because it's Google, and Google likes to do things differently, they're introducing it with an online comic book. It's long.

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

Looks like a major technological upgrade from what we have now, all of which descends from the original NCSA Mosaic. Chrome is multithreaded to supposedly handle several tasks at once. If one browser tab crashes, Google claims that only that tab will have to be closed rather than the entire application. Shouldn't gobble up as much computer memory, either.

Wonder if somebody'll be able to write an ad-blocker for it? :D

Journalism ethics note: The reporter who is breaking the story is married to a Google executive. She's up front about it and says it won't and doesn't affect her reporting, but still ... it looks bad.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'll be interested in trying Chrome, but if it doesn't have an ad blocker I'll probably stick with Firefox or Flock.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's available for downloading now at google.com/chrome

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A reporter married to a Google executive. I'm guessing she doesn't lose much sleep over losing her job and going on food stamps.

5. Many of these "perks" that Chrome will do are already available in Opera.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not the multithreading, not the Webkit base code. Has some UI similarities, but the heavy-duty stuff under the hood won't be in Opera.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Whoa, I just downloaded it on my work computer (didn't think it would allow me). It's faster than the Explorer I was using for sure.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'll give it a shot. Just downloaded it and am trying it now. Firefox freezes up on me waaaaaay too much.

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I tried it...not sure what the advantage is over Firefox.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Trying it now. I'm not really noticing a lot of compelling differences. The incognito window is nice -- Guy, was that your doing?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Still can't use it to watch instant NetFlix. That's the only reason I have I.E. on my computer still.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The multithread feature is the main draw for me. The "one tab crashes, they all crash" thing frustrates the hell out of me. It's pretty rare on Firefox, but a few times is enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted