1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we not have a running 2017 golf thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, May 26, 2017.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, we had a Masters thread and one on the Lexi debacle. Good as time as any to have one. Nice of Jordan to make a cut this week.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

How excited did Christine get when Funk said that.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I have respect for Christine Brennan, but looking through her Twitter feed, she knew exactly what she was going to write long before she stepped foot on the course. She just needed what she thought was validation.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL. A columnist had an idea ahead of time and went to the event with pointed questions around that idea? How unusual!

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I didn't think what Funk said was out of line. He's notorious for not having length off the tee and most - not all - women pros don't drive as far as men. Not to mention if you're hitting it shorter you probably are taking an approach to the course than an LPGA player would with longer irons/hybrids being used for approach shots.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sure. But her depiction of the Funk comments was stupid.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Pretty dumb all around. Brennan pretty much writes the same column every time out now. A one-note show, same as Mushnick. Neither has offered much of a fresh take in years. If you've read either of them once, you've read them a hundred times.

That being said, Funk's comment was pretty dumb. I have never dealt with him. Many have defended him, so I'll buy he's not a sexist.

But him basically saying that he's playing so bad he should be on the ladies tour isn't a good look. Comes off as tone deaf and condescending. A comment that opens the door for criticism.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That blouse is red from the blood of the same horse she's been beating for decades.
    Surprised it's not Northwestern Purple.

[​IMG]

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

He was commenting upon his distance. And according to the stats I just looked at, even the best driving golfer on the LPGA tour would rank only 45th on the Champions Tour...

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing his intent. And I personally don't think what he said was inaccurate or really that offensive.

But, like it or not, we operate in a highly sensitive environment. And saying something that can be interpreted as "I hit it so bad I'm playing like a girl" isn't going to go well.

He chose a poor way to express something. That's all. I'm sure if he had it to do over again he'd choose different words.

There's also a factor of these guys never getting anything but fluff pieces from the lap-dog golf media. When anything is negative, there's a whole lot of cranky red-ass over it. Because pro golfers for the most part are cranky red-asses.

But that's a separate topic.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Hermes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted