1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we need more proof Joe Morgan's an idiot?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Sounded like two different voices to me.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm with CI on this one: A.J. says "Oh, my god." And the ump groans something like "Fu-uhck".

I've called plenty of games behind the plate, and been hit in the mask straight on by a fastball once or twice. No way does Kellogg get out the words "Oh, my god" with that much clarity after he's been smacked in the face like that. The only noise out of his mouth was groaning and a half-hearted attempt to say "fuck."

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

He got the fu....; realized he was miked up......

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was high comedy, to me, though. ESPN had plenty of time to listen to the audio and realize he shouted fuck -- and who wouldn't after getting hit in the face with a baseball thrown at 90 mph from 60 feet away. What were they thinking?

I have no problem with Morgan. I know he sometimes says stupid shit, but I have always just liked him. I think a bit part of it is that Miller is so good. If I was in the booth doing color and they ran audio of a guy shouting "fuck," I might fumfer and misspeak also.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Joe hates AJ and decided to toss him under the bus to cover for the Ump.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This criticism of Joe Morgan is a reach that would make tax Stretch Armstrong.

7. KoM

KoM Member

I can't tell for sure if it's one voice or two (although it sounds like two), but I'm more ready to think the ump says "oh my god" after getting hit and AJ says "fuck" because the ball got away and a run is about to score.

The catcher's priority is base runners, not downed umps!

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not at all. And if you'd seen the thread you'd understand why he didn't show up. (I tried to look it up, but I think it's disappeared into the vortex of cyberspace ... If anybody else who's better with the search function wants to give it a go, it might ease TP's mind.)

Is there an echo in here? :p

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I post this without comment:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/7964

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wish you had commented. The page delivers an error.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Sorry about that!
    http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2008/04/ozzie_vs_morgan.html

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm with buck on this one. Ump probably doesn't get out an "Oh my god" right after getting hit. Probably does wheeze a "fuck" though. Don't think you can rip Morgan for that one, though.

It is fair to wonder why ESPN didn't screen it and let the "fuck" onto the air, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted