1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we know as much football as coaches?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Not even close.

If we knew the game as well as coaches, why do we keep asking them questions?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would have to say no.

I've had friends paint me as being the uber expert of everything football, but I don't even try to paint myself as being more than a writer for a newspaper when I'm around football coaches or players.

Unless I were to sit with coaches or players and soak up everything I can about the game, I wouldn't have a chance to know as much football as they do. And even then, I doubt I could do it having never played a down of anything beyond pick up football.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Absolutely we as media people DO NOT.
    We do not know as much baseball.
    We do not know as much basketball.
    We do not know as much football. Especially football, which is a more complicated game.
    Now, do we know enough to understand what is being told to us, to recognize what's going on, to see mistakes being made by players and coaches? If we're paying attention and reasonably astute, yes.
    To assert that any writer knows as much as the worst professional football coach -- and by that, I mean he makes his living at it, not that he coaches professionals -- is absurd.

4. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

what he said

5. Kevlar

Kevlar Member

Apparently Randy Edsall doesn't think so.

http://www.courant.com/sports/columnists/hc-sunjeffcol1125.artnov25,0,6913802.column

Draft saved Draft deleted