1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we having a running thread for citizens killed by police yet?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That one opens up a whole new battlefront in the "tanking it for cops" legal profession.

It was inspired.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sounds like some poor persecuted soul could use a vacation in the Bahamas.

Someone should start a gofundme account.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Couldn't the Feds file charges for violating civil rights after this?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Only tangentially related. But I love what smart phone cameras are doing to expose the police -- and hopefully start to keep them more honest.

This is video of a woman who was recording U.S. Marshalls arresting a bunch of people in California yesterday. She was out taking a walk and came across 8 people, including women, held at gunpoint on their stomachs with their hands behind their backs. One of the marshalls sees her recording and tells her she has to leave and she says she has a right to film. He says she is interfering with their investigation. She says she has a right to film and keeps recording. He (or was it another of the Marshalls -- I couldn't tell), rushes her, grabs the cell phone out of her hand and smashes it on the ground.

What the genius didn't count on. ... there was someone else across the street recording the whole encounter on their cell phone!

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching "Fruitvale Station". The officer that shot Oscar Grant was charged with first degree murder. He claimed that he confused his taser with his gun and was convicted of Involuntary Manslaughter and sentenced two years. He served 11 months. Made me think of this thread.

7. LongTimeListener

I followed that case closely in the aftermath and for the next couple of years. I never heard a decent explanation for why Mehserle would have had to pull his taser on Grant in the first place.

8. LongTimeListener

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The letter LTL mentioned:

[​IMG]

Given that "credible threat" in modern-day America can refer to any living black male over the age of 10, I'm skeptical.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe the city should put out an Orange Alert.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Will there be riots in Chicago on Thanksgiving? Video of a police officer fatally shooting a 17-year-old in the city will be released by Wednesday and officials are already asking for calm. Rahm Emmanuel has criticized the officer, saying, "Police officers are entrusted to uphold the law, and to provide safety to our residents. In this case unfortunately, it appears an officer violated that trust at every level." Officer's reps say he feared for his life because the teen held a knife and did not comply with orders to drop it. The video reportedly shows the teen being shot several times while already on the ground and the officer reportedly fired 16 rounds (which I imagine has to be the entire clip, right?).

Video coming of Laquan McDonald shooting - CNN.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.