1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we having a running thread for citizens killed by police yet?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Because here's another one, in which a 72-year-old deputy shoots an unarmed suspect who has been tackled to the ground by another officer after a brief foot chase. The deputy says he mistakenly thought he was using his stun gun. Suspect later died in the hospital.

Video shows Tulsa man shot by deputy who meant to stun him - NY Daily News

I mean, I get that we shouldn't be fleeing the police, and this guy was a suspected felon, so I don't expect there to be much of an uproar over the death of a suspected gun dealer. But, come on. The guy was shot after he had been detained on the ground.

The cop in pursuit did the right thing - ran the suspect down, tackled and subdued him - and this part-time asshole just shoots the guy because he didn't take care to know what weapon he was using? It's absurd that this senior citizen was given authority by anyone to use deadly force and even worse that the department apparently has no plans to even investigate further.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The department really can't do anything because it and the city know a lawsuit is coming. I guarantee you the first thing primary counsel said was, "Don't admit anything."

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This guy was a walking accident waiting to happen.

Shooting or no shooting, I cannot imagine how they are going to justify giving this guy a gun and putting him the line of duty.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is exactly what happened in Oakland (the movie "Fruitvale Station" came from it). Guy on ground, handcuffed, shot in back. Cop said he mistakenly pulled out his Taser. That was after cops initially said the guy was causing a ruckus, only to be contradicted by video.

The cop was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to two years. Served 11 month in county jail and was released for good behavior.

I don't expect the cop here to get much more than that. Probably less.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He paid to be a cop. Well, reserve cop. He donated a couple grand to the sheriff's re-election campaign, so he got to play police officer.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They've already deemed it "excusable homicide."

The sergeant who reviewed the investigation called the SHOOTER the true victim.

Oh, and dontcha know, the camera only caught the bad stuff and mysteriously shut off before they started CPR and giving the guy medical attention.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I won't know what to think about this one until I get Ruben's take.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Was just wondering if he ever lived in Oklahoma.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Maybe Roscoe didn't die last week and is a Tulsa cop.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, shooting someone in the back is never going to end well for a cop.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh, I'd say an 11-month jail sentence was a much better ending for the cop than it was for, say, the guy who got shot in the back while handcuffed.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

No doubt, but shooting a suspect in the back is almost the only way a cop is going to get jail time for one of these messes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.