1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Vegetarians and Vegans Think They Are Better Than Everyone Else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 7, 2013.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Lack of protein in our diets affects brain performance.
    You aren't going to get those needed amino acids from fuckin kale chip casserole.

QYFW likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I bought two packages each of prime filets and prime KC strips yesterday -- on sale! I grill year-round.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I especially like veal and lamb.

7. TheSportsPredictor

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Good stuff.
    There is a story in that comment string about a guy who sat next to a vegan on an international flight and noted how badly the passenger smelled.
    I have sensed that myself. With a plant-based diet that produces a lot of methane, these folks must get some room-clearing farts.
    The sheer bloating would be bad enough - never mind a veg-heavy diet that is the fastest route to heart disease, mood disorders, memory loss, sexual dysfunction and more.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Methane is an odorless gas. Maybe the dude was just a nasty hippie.

10. TheSportsPredictor

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There will be more dumb articles written about this movie than any movie preceding it.

Black Panther flips that script with a scene involving Martin Freeman’s Everett Ross, one of the only white characters in the Afro-centric production. While seeking an audience with M’Baku (played by Winston Duke), the leader of the mountainous Jabari tribe, Ross is shushed. M’Baku threatens that if Ross speaks again, “he will feed him to his children.”

The line plays out exactly how Coogler intends. M’Baku is a mountain of a man — set up to be interpreted as a brute worth fearing. Based on damaging stereotypes furthered by other Hollywood films, it makes sense that he’s savage enough to devour human flesh. Ross is scared he’ll never leave Wakanda and appear on a platter as M’Baku’s main course.

But Ross is never in any danger. Using wonderful comedic timing, M’Baku pauses and roars with laughter. It’s a joke, he tells Ross. They have no interest in cannibalism, in fact. “We’re vegetarian,” he explains.

That’s right: Wakandans show compassion to animals. They’re more humane than Ross, who’ll probably crave some In-N-Out when he returns stateside. The scene pokes fun at a pattern of old-timey filmmaking. It also challenges the perception of what a typical vegetarian looks like. To quote Quicksilver from Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, “Bet you didn’t see that coming.

12. TheSportsPredictor

Draft saved Draft deleted