1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Vegetarians and Vegans Think They Are Better Than Everyone Else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

People who go off the rails lecturing others about diet should shut the hell up and let others eat in peace.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I could not under any circumstances put cheese on a corned beef sandwich. That is so wrong.

I'll give you my view, with no claim that I am theologically correct. The laws of Kashrut come from the Torah. Leviticus and Deuteronomy tell us to only eat animals that both have cloven hooves and chew their cud and fish with both scales and gills. The Torah does not say we can't mix meat and dairy, but does say that we are not to boil a kid in his mother's milk. That's it for the bible. The prohibition against mixing meat and dairy comes from rabbinic interpretation of what one has to do to make sure one doesn't boil a kid in mother's milk. All the rules about how many hours you have to wait between eating milk or meat, having separate dishes, storing of food etc are rulings from rabbis applying the basic rules from the Torah to real life. Breaking the laws from the torah or the later rabbinic rules doesn't mean we are going to hell or have some other dire consequences.

Then there are the different denominations (I'm not sure that's the right word) of Jews - very generally speaking, Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Hassidic. And even more generally, each group varies in which of the rabbinic rules have to be followed for things like kashrut or keeping the Sabbath (a discussion that is even more complicated, I think). There are variations within the denominations. I grew up Conservative, but my parents did not keep a kosher home - although my father would never mix milk and meat at a meal because that's how he grew up. Many of my friends at the synagogue did keep kosher to some degree.

I started keeping semi-kosher in my 20s. I do not eat pork products or shellfish. I don't, though, ask at a restaurant whether lard was used in preparing my food. I don't make a big deal about mixing milk and meat but I've never had a cheeseburger. I would remind Craig that I didn't eat pig meat when we went out to dinner and he was considering ordering that pork loin.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If people prepare a special non-meat dish for vegetarians at parties, do vegetarians prepare a meat dish at their parties for non-vegetarians?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A vegetarian doesn't eat meat. Period. So I suppose if you have a vegetarian over and you want to make them comfortable, you'd have non-meat options, so they have SOMETHING to eat.

If there was a class of people who only ate meat products and absolutely nothing else, I suppose your hypothetical would make sense.

Are there really people who only eat meat products as 100 percent of their diet, but not fruit or vegetables without meat?

And if those people exist, and I am not familiar with them, what is their rationale? Philosophical objections to eating fruit or vegetables? Health reasons?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have a friend who used to be really heavy, went vegan and now looks like he could host a fitness show. He even looks like a cross between the guy on the Extreme Weight Loss show and the male trainer on Biggest Loser.

Whenever someone asks him how he lost the weight he just says, "I stopped drinking alcohol and soda and started eating more fruits and vegetables." All of that is true, but he never mentions that he doesn't eat meat, eggs etc... and I give him credit for that.

I saw him at a wedding a couple years ago and they gave him some eggplant dish, but one of the sides may or may not have had eggs in it and one of our friends was, "Do you want me to find out how it was cooked?" and he laughed and said, "I'd just rather not know... I'll live..."

I don't care how anybody eats. If they're a vegan, great... Vegetarian, great... Atkins, SCD, Twinkie diet, who gives a shit? But once someone starts telling everybody else why they should adopt their way of eating... Fuck those people... Unfortunately, the people who usually feel the need to do that are vegetarians and vegans, although I have a friend who is just as annoying in his demand for grass-fed beef.

6. 93Devil

So when you host a party there is no meat but you expect a meatless option when you go somewhere? You are expecting people to adjust to your eating habits but you are not willing to adjust your cooking habits to meet theirs.

This topic was started asking if non-meat people thought they were better than everyone else.

7. 93Devil

Winner, winner! Vegan dinner!

8. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. The Big Ragu

Not sure how this became about me. I personally don't "expect" anything of any party host, when it comes to their menu.

I was responding to your post -- before you just shifted the goalposts to something else.

Your post equated a party host being sensitive to vegetarian guests by having non-meat options because vegetarians don't eat meat at all. ... to some notion that a vegetarian therefore owes it to have meat at a party.

Logically that doesn't follow. It would be one thing if there were people who don't eat fruit or vegetables, and have philosophical objections to vegetables -- for ethical reasons or health reasons or a combination of such reasons. And I guess then, you'd have this class of people who are ethically in tune to some moral code, who view killing and eating animals as no big deal, but find it objectionable to eat veggies. Where do those mythical people exist?

Even so, in that case, you couldn't even make the argument you tried to make. Someone who serves meat at a party, but is nice enough to try to make vegetarian guests comfortable with some options, isn't doing something they are philosophically against. It's not really a big deal. Doesn't do anything to gross themselves out. They are just trying to be accommodating. They aren't anti-vegetable.

A vegetarian, on the other hand -- at least one ethically opposed to people eating meat -- can't serve meat, because unlike the paragraph above, it would be doing something they are philosophically against.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He won't understand any of that.

11. The Big Ragu

That's fine. Did you, though?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. 93Devil

It makes perfect sense. And your only meat exists is a perfect example of why people think vegetarians are assholes.

Mizzou's friend is not an asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted