1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Vegetarians and Vegans Think They Are Better Than Everyone Else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Stonewall Jackson was a bit of a health nut. Carried fruits and
    vegetables with him in battle. Way ahead of his time. Unfortunately
    he was killed when accidentally shot in back by one of his own soldiers.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Coincidence?

3. Boom_70

Ironic !

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think the shot that would prove to be fatal came from the front.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

At the very least, they do seem to have a certain joylessness. Unless they smoke a lot of weed.

People are snobs about food in various ways. Quarter-century ago, on a first date, I order the biggest, rarest prime rib they could fit on a plate, she orders the calamari and says, "I don't eat red meat." And I say, "Well, I'm sure as fuck not eating a squid." Just came out of my voice out of nowhere -- I was as shocked that I said it as the woman and the waiter seemed to be. And yes, there were subsequent dates. FB friends now.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Where do you live, and how old are you (speaking generally, as in regions and decades)?

I don't support the not eating of meat, but hectoring someone for it seems wildly antiquated.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Turning this discussion slightly, why do so many Jews do Kosher halfway? I know plenty of Jews who don't eat pork or mix dairy (or at least obvious dairy, like milk, cream and cheese) with meat. But I don't know anyone who won't use the office fridge to store their Kosher sandwich or salad or heat up their soup in the office microwave. I only know a few Jews who won't eat out at restaurants not certified and blessed as Kosher.

I would love to know the theology behind the half-Kosher diet. Once you cross any given plane, why not jump right over them all? You've already broken the religious code, and obviously a slice of provolone with that corned beef is not going to kill you.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I eat mainly veggie/nut/seed kinda thing... Prolly eat meat 3-4 times a month... don't eat much dairy either... I'm pretty close to vegan....

But every now and then, I'll make myself an amazing grilled veggie sandwich... And I'll be putting the finishing touches on it... And I'll say to myself, "What this sandwich needs is 2 slices of BACON !!!!!" And I go for it. I'm big on listening to your body's cravings, within reason. Meat has B vitamins, iron, all sorts of good stuff.

That said, studies show those who eat predominantly veg do live longer.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You started out by saying your conscience requires you to serve meet to guests.
    Talk about pontificating.

10. Boom_70

When a women orders squid on a first date she is testing you.

11. Boom_70

I make it a point to meet all my guests.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Eat your squash pasta and relax there, bud.
    I am doing no pontificating.

Draft saved Draft deleted