1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do US women dunk too much?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Sep 22, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Women's World Championships last night.
    RUSSIA 75, UNITED STATES 68

Well, the US women have a great college season and the premier pro league in the world with the WNBA.
    So where are all the hand wringing about "they don't play the right way," "too much emphasis on flash and not enough on passing & the jump shot" or "they don't play as a team" that the men bring about when they lose in international waters.

[And yes, I realize that by starting this topic there will be the enevitable "who cares about women's basketball?" posts from those in the audience who can't be bothered to think of an actual answer].

Could it be we're wrong about what ills the men's game?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The team hadn't lost since like 1994 (I think), they were due for a loss. The Russians are the second-ranked team in the world, so they were the perfect group to knock off the U.S.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I hear use of steroids and HGH is rampant in the Russian women's basketball federation.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the USA team does have two or three players who have dunked in a game at some point, so it's probably the slamma-jamma, horrible fundamentals taking over.

As usual: Total Fouls, USA 21, Russia 17. As Always.

If you leave it close enough for the refs to fuck ya, they will.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Been a pretty good week for them vs. U.S.

Ryder Cup: Europe winning.

Davis Cup: Russia leads 2-0.

U.N.: Mahmoud '"I'm a Dinner Jacket" gets the prime-time slot, and Hugo Chavez insults the president.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

They were due for a loss. Even Ali lost.

7. rgd

rgd Guest

I keep thinking the thread title says, "Do US women drink too much?"

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Good point. And at least the women didn't get spanked by a territory of the USA like the men did.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And if they do, would they be right on par with the men at that point?

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, I'm still single and dateless. So the answer is no, not by a long shot.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Next on Cold Pizza, see why Skip Bayless is glad that the US women's basketball team lost to Russia.

Draft saved Draft deleted