1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do they have copy editors at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bill Brasky, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

OK, about to beat a dead horse.
    Bill Simmons does a column for the magazine about which 10 NBA playoff matchups he would most like to see...and he omits one...Phoenix-Los Angeles. Does an addendum to his column, about how he didn't know how he made the mistake, but it would be in the top 5, blah, blah, blah.
    Shouldn't an editor catch something like that? Hell, there are Kobe-Shaq ads running on TV. Even a casual NBA fan knows the sizzle of that matchup. Seems to me, that's something you at least ask a guy about..."Hey Bill, why didn't you put the Lakers and the Suns on the list?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3357518

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

They can afford to pay Simmons et al because "editors" at sites are HTML jockeys barely out of their teens

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You could not be more wrong.

4. From what I hear, Simmons is such a primadonna (nicest thing I could call him on a family message board) and browbeats editors who dare change a comma that the editors probably don't give a crap about helping him out.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Asked and answered."

"Sustained, Mr. McCoy."

6. sportsed

sportsed Member

It's a fricking list. Look around and surely there will be another one later today. Wait around long enough and you might find one you agree with completely. It's kind of the whole point, really, to start a discussion. That Simmons will carry on the discussion on his own is nothing new.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

present company excepted

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I really wish this guy would come on here and raise hell. There are objections when posters tear into a writer at a community paper, but not someone at ESPN? I don't follow.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's a theory I have based on some things I have seen.

I wonder if it's true. It would be easy to beleive since many dislike Simmons, but . . .I don't know.

It would be interesting if Simmons showed up here, guns blazing. It would be amusing to see how people react to him.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I work at a newspaper, thank you.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

ESPN has many very good copy editors, some of whom I know.

I think Simmons may have a no-edit clause.

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

OT: Why is Derrick Rose in the "2008 NBA MVP" ad that appears in the banner ads on this site?

Draft saved Draft deleted