1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do they have a slaughter rule in lacrosse?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, May 17, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Some school named Bryant University made the quarterfinals of the NCAA lacrosse tournament. They're playing Maryland and have allowed seven goals in the first quarter. Maryland scored four times before Bryant ever even had the ball. It's now 7-2 still in the first quarter as Bryant just scored on a power play.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sounds like the last time Marquette made the Final Four.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sounds like the time Mitt Romney made the Final Two.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention that, because that was exactly what I thought.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The son of one of my high school buddies is No. 17 for Bryant. They upset Syracuse in the Carrier Dome last Sunday night to get there.

The coach is Mike Pressler, who was Duke's coach when they had the scandal. For a while, he couldn't get a job to save his life. But Bryant hired him to go D-I, and obviously, he's done it pretty well.

The goalie stood on his head in the Carrier Dome. Today, he couldn't catch it if it was pitched to him underhand.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I doubt they have such a rule in the NCAA, but in high school, at least in Massachusetts, it goes to a running clock in the second half with a 10-goal difference.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Most teams with a comfortable lead will hold their scoring to 19 or 20.

Problem sometimes is what is a comfortable lead in lax? Ten, sure. Five or six, no you could still choke it.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

there hasn't really been a slaughter like that in a lacrosse game since Chief Pontiac showed up at Fort Michilimackinac in 1763.
    http://mynorth.com/2010/05/deadly-lacrosse-game-in-mackinac-straits-at-fort-michilimackinac-in-1763/

what? too soon?

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, Bryant is a pretty solid lacrosse program, but Maryland has it rolling right now. If I was an AD starting a lax program at a big school with money I'd call Pressler and try to buy him away.

10. Jake_Taylor

Oh, and to answer the original question, no there's not a slaughter rule, but one of the cool things about lacrosse is how quickly the momentum can turn if a team starts winning faceoffs. If you have a great faceoff guy you can basically play make-it-take-it and string together a bunch of goals before the other team's offense even has an opportunity.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That was the other difference from last Sunday. Bryant's faceoff man was supposedly one of the best in the nation, and he beat Syracuse's guy almost every time. Today, he was losing every faceoff, and that meant the Terps were attacking on offense non-stop for the first five minutes.

12. Jake_Taylor

I had been thinking about starting an NCAA spring postseason thread with the lax tourney going on, softball starting and baseball conference tournaments around the corner. Maybe this one could serve in that capacity?

Draft saved Draft deleted