1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the umps want instant replay?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, May 25, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just watching SportsCenter and they did an OTL segment with Bob Ley looking at the instant replay discussion in baseball. They showed clips of four or five blown home run calls this week. I can't ever remember there being a rash of missed homer calls like that.

Anyone think the umps might welcome instant replay and are intentionally missing calls to facilitate its implementation?

2. MLB umpires didn't want the strike zone tracking technology to help the sport research the good and bad umpires. There's not a chance they would want replay.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Are you asking whether the umps want instant replay, or whether they're intentionally blowing calls?

You can't be serious about the latter.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

There already is instant replay. I see them in every game I watch on TV. Replay reviews of calls, now that's a different story.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If umps object too much to instant replay, then why not have two umps for the outfield foul lines like in the playoffs? Granted, it would cost $, but it would cut down on a lot of the controversy.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Apples and oranges. Umpires believe in their ball-strike ability and they should, given that the issue is 12 inches in front of them. Wall calls are harder. You're far away, you not might get a stable look because you're running, fans get in the way, ball might be going into a white background, some walls aren't marked clearly enough.

There are so few of the Froemming-era hard asses around, I would think the current umpires would welcome the help. Who wants to spend their whole career being remembered for screwing up a Jeffrey Maier call?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They aren't blowing calls on purpose. There are just too many shitty umpires working MLB now.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I don't see what the big deal is bringing in replay for home run calls. I can't see it taking longer than a minute to review the play.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

#1 - Questec was (and is) a joke
    #2 - You will never find a more arrogant group than the MLB Umpires Association. Replay will be fought into the courts by them.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's a big deal because once it's in place for home run calls it'll be expanded to include fair-foul and safe-out calls.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

My head still hurts from the argument between Kruk/Eric Young and Steve Phillips on Baseball Tonight. Never a good sign when Steve Phillips is the most intelligent guy, by leaps and bounds, in a conversation.

Draft saved Draft deleted