1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do specific omissions in reporting lead to a different feel for the story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rumpleforeskin, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Umm. Thanks my good sir. It's fixed now. Carry on.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yes.

Years ago, I saw the remains of a vehicle that was in a brutal car accident and found out the driver drove without seeing where he was going. My comment then: "Then basically, he had it coming?" I certainly don't believe that now, but I obviously feel very differently when someone's stupidity causes a death as opposed to someone who wasn't doing anything wrong like the 32 people who lost their lives a year ago at Virginia Tech.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Someone who works in operations at Shea told me the guy was sliding down the rubber railing.
    He also said the escalator was not working, others were walking, this guy was tryng to slide down. The rail is high enough that there is no way the guy could have fallen over it if he were walking.
    The drop, he said, is 50-60 feet.
    He also told me "You guys (meaning media in general) will have 7 different stories and if you put them all together all of the facts will be there. But no one story will get it completely right."

And he was pretty upset by the whole thing, especially the guy's kids witnessing it

4. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

that is just horrifying

Draft saved Draft deleted